Help with the out-dated system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I just your average kid who doesn't have the money or the ability to get and install WindowsXp. So as a result, I use Win98 for my computer.

Now lately I've been going nuts about the security of my computer (Don't ask why..Idk exactly why.). About a hour ago in a scan of my computer by AVG Free edition I found a Generic2.JDK hiding in my temp. folder. Well I deleted it and I realized also in my searchs to find out what exactly it was, it was a unknown little virus. I found all sorts of other Generic type trojans but none with the .JDK

Anyways, to the point. I use, AVG Free Edition, Spybot-Search and Destroy, and Ad-Aware as my prime security. I just now installed Spyware Guard.

First question: Does Spyware guard act as a firewall? Or does it just scan everything I do and make sure I have no spyware?
Second: If it doesn't act as a firewall, then I would need to find one that runs on a Win98 system, however the two I saw mentioned a whole lot seems to only work on the newer OS's. So am I out of luck and just need to be careful or is there some type of thing I could use to help me out here.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Does Spyware guard act as a firewall?

No it doesn`t act as a firewall.

You can get the free Jetico firewall, that`ll work with Windows 98.

I also suggest you go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment. I`ll take a look and see if I can find anything nasty on your system.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of TonkaTruck only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Here you go. I should also mention some other stuff while I'm here. Last night I was uninstalling mIRC and as I finished the uninstall and the menu was up if I wanted to remove some channel or whatnot, AVG Popped up and said Generic2 was back!.

Anyways, also. I use Azerus *Can't spell* , which I rarely do anything with. However recently I downloaded BitTorret and it did something to my system when I doubleclicked it. It brought up my System folder to my Desktop. Now every time I restart or boot up my computer, the System folder wants to open up and I have to manually close it.

EDIT: As a quick edit as I was looking at my own logfile. That QTTask is associated with a quicktime app. I was on some site *Can't remember what it was, some flash site.* and I had to download the QT Plugin. So I tried and it failed for my computer because of OS issues. Now when I start up in my little bar down by the clock, I get a giant Q there that I need to rightclick and close. I asked my dad about this and he said it something with the registry files and just don't touch them.

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01

O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN APPS\MSN TOOLBAR\01.02.5000.1021\EN-US\MSNTB.DLL

O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN APPS\ST\01.03.0000.1005\EN-XU\STMAIN.DLL

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Boot] C:\PROGRAM FILES\KNIGHTONLINE\XTRAP\XTrap.xt

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "" --force_start_minimized

O9 - Extra button: Run IMVU - {d9288080-1baa-4bc4-9cf8-a92d743db949} - C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\IMVU\Run IMVU.lnk

O16 - DPF: ChatSpace Full Java Client 4.0.0.320 - http://chat.justachat.com:8000/Java/cfs40320.cab

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your system.

Now, go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow as many of the instructions as you can.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

If avg is still picking up the infection after doing teh above, please give me the full filepath to the infection.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of TonkaTruck only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Alright, I finished all the steps, however AVG Antispy is only for Win2000 and XP. I didn't find any other infected items either. Another question, after this is all finished and wrapped up, how often should I run these programs?

Heres my HJT log.

*Attachment wouldn't work for me, no clue why.*

Have HJT fix the following.

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - (no file)

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "" --force_start_minimized

O9 - Extra button: Run IMVU - {d9288080-1baa-4bc4-9cf8-a92d743db949} - C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\IMVU\Run IMVU.lnk

O16 - DPF: {70BA88C8-DAE8-4CE9-92BB-979C4A75F53B} (GSDACtl Class) - http://launch.gamespyarcade.com/soft...ch/alaunch.cab

O16 - DPF: ChatSpace Full Java Client 4.0.0.320 - http://chat.justachat.com:8000/Java/cfs40320.cab

O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yaho...st20040510.cab

Click the fixed checked button and close HJT.

Is AVG still finding anything? If so, please give me the filepath/s

Your HJT log is clean.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back