Help with virusbursters malware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and thank you for your time.

I am at my wit's end trying to get rid of some malware that has invaded my system tray and occasionally displays spam popups on my desktop. It flashes and displays "Critical System Errors!" and then a balloon with various typos advertising fake software (http://www.virusbursters.com/?aff=334.

XP Professional with all MS updates

I have followed the instructions as best I can to eliminate the spyware, using very helpful previous posts and all of these programs:

vundofix
virtumundobegone
unlocker
spybotsd
smitrem
smitfraudfix
look2me-destroyer
killbox
hijackthis1991
ewido_micro
ccsetup135
bfu
awg free

And the mother will just not go away. I have eliminated numerous baddies as helped by these various programs. What have I missed? I have attached logs from HJT and AVG.

There is a concern that I have not been able to boot into 'safe mode' as recommended by most of the instructions, because the infected computer is on a corporate Novell intranet, and for whatever reason it refuses to let me log on to the workstation in safe mode or safe mode w/networking, despite having local administrator rights.

I can wipe the hd if necessary but boy, who wants to do that? It would have been faster than what I've done today, however.

Thank you very much.

Cameron

Your HJT version is out of date, please get the latest version from HERE!!!

This thread is for the use of brickc only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I need to see an AVG Antispyware log as per these instructions in THIS thread.

Once you`ve run the AVG Antispyware scan, post the log as well as a fresh HJT log.

If you have not followed the complete instructions in the above link, you should do so.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of brickc only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I am grateful for your help.

I have had some trouble running the various scans: the internet based ones would sometimes hang, and after installing the free firewall the computer hard crashed and then powered back on.

Although I will continue running who knows how many scans on however many programs, my salvation appears to be Ad-Aware SE: it identified some 'Zoob' malware, quarantined it, and then removed it, and for the first time since the beginning of this debacle it's gone from my system tray.

If I find out otherwise in the next while I will post the two logs.

The problem was eliminated as mentioned. Another thing worth mentioning to anyone using Novell was that the recommended firewall program Zone Alarm disabled my workstation's ability to see the tree in the local area (i.e., log in). That despite me allowing anything from Novell that came along.

Keep up the good work,

Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back