Help with wireless network control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I recently set up a wireless network at home with a Westell 327W dsl modem with router which I connect wirelessly via my laptop. I set up WPA-PSK with TKIP. I password protected access to the modem/router and also logoff the internet after each use (and then reconnect when I use it again).

My first problem is that I have found that changing from wep to wpa doesn't seem to allow me to hide my ssid any more. It comes up in the list as well as one that says <ssid no broadcast>.

Also, I edited the logon profile so that it should disconnect after a half hour of inactivity and it doesn't seem to be doing that.

Also, I wanted to enable MAC address filtering. Doing a ipconfig/all to get the physical addresses listed 2 and I wasn't sure which one was relevant to list so I put both, but if only one is necessary would like to remove the unnecessary one (or does it really matter?). What came up was:
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-36-5D-D3-80
etc.
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C1-9F-4C-BF-23

Which one can be safely removed so that I will still be able to access the network?

Lastly, when I set the WPA group rekey interval to 100 (seconds I presume) I started getting disconnected around that interval. I stuck it back to the default of 3600 and all seems well, though it is not clear to me whether it has the same problem after an hour. I will probably tinker with this one still...

Any help or pointers to the above issues would be greatly appreciated though.
Thanks,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back