Hey Guys. Have a prob with my pc. PSU ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone.

To start off my computer will not turn on. I've read some threads on your forums and mosly the problem was the PSU. I think i have the same problem, but i dont know which one to put in. Im using a stock PSU that i got about 2 years ago, but since ive upgraded my system a little by little. If you can please suggest a good quality PSU that will not blow. (i hope my comp's problem is the PSU)

2 weeks ago, ive been getting really high temps on my computer, mainly in the CPU are of about 90*. I got myself a Corsair Nautilus 500 Liquid Cooling Kit. It brought the temperature of the CPU down to 40 @ full load. But the ram is pretty hot and reads 75+ @ times 80*. But for the past month while under full load (while gaming) i think my HD stopped spinning. It would do that 3 times before shutting the system down alltogether. This time i looked into the comp to see if it were the HD acting up, i touched it to see if it were maybe over heating and the motor was dying, and my comp went POOF. It did not make a sound, not any smoke came out. I thought the HD blew, so i D/C it, but the system will not turn on still. There are lights on the Mother Board, and the CD drive lights but doesnt not open.

I think it was the PSU because it was the same day i installed the new Cooling system. Also the Volt Meter (intel software) showed my Volts fluctuating down to 10.2 V from 11.4V.

My specs are (from the top of my head)
CPU: P4 3.2 Ghz @ 533 or 800 (can't remmember)
MB: Intel D865PERL @ 800
RAM: 1Gb 2x512 Kingston @ 400
Video: ATI All-In-Wonder X800
HD1: Maxtor Rapter 15,000 RPM 40gb
HD2: 160 GB @ 7200
Corsair Nautilus 500 Liquid Cooling (dont know the power consumption)
Current PSU - 250 Watts ... 12v+- 13A - vorsichti (all i could make out)

Thank You All in Advance,
Cheers, Nick.

Of course it's all a guessing game at this point, but I think you are on the right track with the PSU as well.

250w powerering an X800, two hard drives, and likely your liquid cooling system probably stressed it out and it had a nervous breakdown ;)

Go here - http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp - and see how much power your pc needs!!!!

250watts is definately waaaaaaay too weedy!!!!

The last time i used a 250watt psu was with a P3 machine!!!!

450watts is probably ideal as it should give you some headroom for upgrading in the future!!!!

Just so you know, if you get a 450 but your pc needs say 300 for arguments sake, it's not a problem at all!! The psu will supply whatever is needed upto its maximum limit!! The further under its maximum it runs the cooler it will stay and the longer it will last!!!!

I hope this information is of use to you!!!!:)

Hey everyone.
Thanks for the suggestions. I got meself a new 550 W thermal take PSU. Works like a charm. Thank God it was the PSU. All the currents V's are stable.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back