Hi I'm new to the boards and making my first computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some questions

My mobo crashed can I still use the parts? (processor,diskdrives,hardrive)

Also I am going to get a Gigabyte GA-7VT600P-RZ ATX AMD Mobo,PNY Verto Geforce FX 5500 128mb DDR AGP Graphics Card,And a AMD Duron 1.8ghz 266mhz FSB socket A processor

I already have a intel 2.7ghz processor but I don't know if I can use it.If I can will someone tell me which one is better so I know what type of mobo to get amd or intel.

To answer your first question: How did you crash your motherboard? If it experienced a lightning strike, you could try using the parts but it is unlikely that they will work. If you just screwed up the BIOS, then the parts should still be okay and ready for use.

For your second question: I personally prefer AMD because they are generally faster than the comparable Intel ones, though they do run pretty hot. From the two processors you just listed, the Pentium is the faster one, though you can't use it with the motherboard you listed.

Hope this helps!

so should i get a intel so i don't have to get a new processor or should i get amd?
I found a board on newegg.com (PC CHIPS M-909G V5.0A Micro ATX Intel Motherboard) is it good for the price and would it be compatable with the video card?

I personally would get an AMD board because AMD CPU's are cheaper than the comaparable Intel CPU. The boards are generally the same price for both brands. The board you found on newegg.com is compatiable with your graphics card, however, try to stay away from PC Chips, as they are on the bottom of the motherboard totem pole. A couple of good brands are ECS, Asus, and Gigabyte. To check that your graphics card is compatiable with the motherboard you choose, make sure it supports "AGP 8x".

Hope this helps!

It would seem a motherboard swap with the current equipment would be cheapest. Although there's not much information to go on. How do you know the motherboard is bad?

I would go with the Intel since it is the fastest. Are you a gamer?? Can you provide any more details on why you think its the motherboard thats bad?

Everything I've read about PC Chips indicates that they lack in quality (they fail more often). I've never had one so I can't personally vouch for its quality. I suggested ECS and Asus because I've used those boards in the past and they worked really well. I've read about Gigabyte also being a top brand.

yes, pcchips is one of the many companies that put s*** in a box and sell it as a motherboard. i reccomend you get a name brand model (gigabyte, asus, msi...). and i wouldn't spend any more money on a box conatining a duron cpu, as said product is too obsolete to justify such an expenditure.

Yes I am a gamer
I don't know what happenned to my mobo but best buy said it crashed and would be cheaper just to buy a new one
Also I could not find any other motherboards on newegg.com that had agp 8x and supported ddr 2700
I already have 512mb ddr and I don't want to have to buy a different kind

I found a new one (PNY VCG62256APB Geforce 6200 256MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card) at newegg.com
Is it better and is it compatable it is 4x/8x?

Ok I just need to know if everthing is compatable then I can order the parts
Please check specs at newegg.com

Stuff From Newegg.com:
ECS 651C-M Socket 478 SIS 651 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
XFX PVT44AWAMG Geforce 6200 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card

Stuff I have:
Deskstar 61.4gb HDD
Bestec 250w Power Supply
Samsung 512mb PC2700 DDR
MIC CD-RW/DVD Rom Disk Drive
H-L CD-RW Disk Drive
intel Celeron 2.70ghz processor socket type ?(Can some one find out I got it in a emachines T2798 series computer)

ECS 651C-M Socket 478 SIS 651 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
ecs makes a pretty crappy product. i reccomend a motherboard from a name brand mfg such as intel, gigabyte, asus, msi...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back