Hi speed Intenet w/cellphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilloz

Before I start a search of the above subject matter I thought I'd first ask if this is possible. My Son in Law lives in the boonies and is not close enough to any facilities to get DSL. My question: is it possible, with proper equipment, to get on DSL or high speed Internet by using a cell phone connection? Not satellite but by cell phone. If this is a dumb question, then I apologize, but somehow it seems possible I just don't know or ever heard of it. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey TMAGIC650 its possible,am from Uganda and i use the same thing,u have 56kbps and if u are using 3G u can have upto 128kbps.all u need is a very nice phone with bluetooth and a bluetooth device for your computer,or u can use infrared.u create a new connection that works with your bluetooth setup.infrared is very simple to set.the number is a GPRS number,its *99***1# depend on the phone.i recommend a sonyericsson or nokia or lg.they r fast.R

Yes, with GPRS or EDGE you can get semi-decent speeds. Mind you, your network provider has to have this service and it will cost you a fortune to use it.

I thought there would be a downside to using this technology... I wonder if Satellite Internet would be cheaper

I believe Verizon has Satellite access, but coverage is very spotty --
primarily large metro areas.

Thank you all for your comments. I will pass this information on to my Son in Law and see how he wants to pursue this. I appreciate your time to post a reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back