Hidden Gamespy code leads to vulnerabilities in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS | Thomas

First I want to premise that these bugs have been discovered during a
bug research on a specific game & I knew about the implication of Gamespy only some minutes later. Yes Gamespy, the people who say to "welcome any & all help" & then send me an useless Cease&Desist & DEFAME me & moreover my hobby, the same people who say to "protect gamers rights & provide security" & then leave RogerWilco & Gamespy3d vulnerables to highly critical & pubblic old bugs (still now), the same "trusted people" who claim "Gamers trust us" & at the same time insert hidden functions in third party games.

However I have also provided some unofficial fixes for the games that
have no official patches at the moment or that are no more supported.

Would you like to know more? This also details how to manually fix some holes in certain unpatched titles.

Hmm...

I hope that the game dev's update quite quickly...
I've experienced several times that one person was kicked from a BF server, only for the server to suddenly go down..... :mad:

I'm more concerned about the use of Gamespy in games without my consent... Any third party app that is bundled without my knowledge/permission is bad.

Having not played any of the games in question, does anyone know if permission for the gamespy is in the EULA?

It would seem you do now know what GameSpy is...

GameSpy, also available as a standalone program here, is in essens a serverbrowser program.

When using one of the listed games to play online, it's using gamespy to find and filter the games by connecting to Gamespy's masterserver which keeps track of the different servers.

GameSpy also includes a way with which to check for valid cd-keys so the programmers won't have to do this themselves.

I think disclosure is the first step, and fixing known bugs and issues in a timely fashion is a close 2nd...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back