Hidden Partitions In Windows Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

smee56

Hello World

News to these forums here.....but....i have a 60G hdd, and its split into 4 partitions. i have windows XP in 2 partitions. (one factory and one proper) and the other 2 partitions hold my music and other data...the problem that im having is that i can see the music and data partitions in one install of windows but not the other...i need help fast as im going overseas in 2 days

thanks in advance

Mortz

That's strange (I suppose your point!)

Are they all NTFS partitions (or is the other Xp partition Fat32)

kimsland said:
That's strange (I suppose your point!)

Are they all NTFS partitions (or is the other Xp partition Fat32)

I have the factory install in fat32...and the rest in NTFS...would this make a difference

Is the factory install Xp the one that doesn't see the other partitions?
Mind you this is not it , after thinking about it

actually i can see the other partitions in the factory install..its the XP NTFS partition that i cant see the other partitions from. would you recomend converting the fat32 into a NTFS partition??

No leave it as default (as per further thoughts above)

On the Xp NTFS system (now we have a label!)
Go to Administrative tools in Control Panel
Computer Management
Disk Management

Can you see the other drives

yes i can see all 4 partitions....
Disk_management.PNG

The Unknown status occurs when the boot sector for the volume is corrupted (possibly due to a virus) and you can no longer access data on the volume. The Unknown status also occurs when you install a new disk but do not follow the wizard to create a disk signature.

For instructions describing how to fix volumes with Unknown status, see
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../proddocs/en-us/sag_disktrouble.mspx?mfr=true

Sorry must step out for around 7 Hrs
Be back later
Good Luck

hmm i cpould provide a reason for that and thats because i have rewritten the mbr with gag...the graphical boot manager...so ill fix it and ill get another boot manager and see what happens...thnx 4 ur help

Just a update....

i formatted all partitions except one windows one...i went to the disk manager and formatted the rest...the turned up in my computer and i put some of my backed up music on...and the next day i turn on my comp and they are gone....if anyone else can help it would be much appreciated

/\\//\\//\\//\

How Gone Are They

Original problem:
XP(boot drive); all other drives declared UNKown.
ACER (boot drive); media & data are visible; XP declared UNKown.

Under what conditions are the new drives gone?

Is there no boot drive on the disk?

Has the problem changed?

Has a boot manager been added/removed? Any other OS besides XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back