hiding my IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigger

is there a way to hide your IP address by reconfiguring your setting or part of your IP address.:D

Not really, you can use a Proxy, which will hide it for the most part, but if someone wants to, they can find you behind the proxy. Also, when using Proxy settings, your speeds are limited by those of the Proxy server.

Your best bet would be using a router and a software firewall together, the router's IP will be what most people would see as your IP. The software firewall will give you flexible control over what can and can't gain access, to and from your machine.

errr? from the internet at large, even if you're behind a router at home it doesn't show up as your router IP, that's a local only thing.

i'm behind a router right now but check the ip log and i'm sure you wont find my 192.168.1.1 router IP. as far as other machines on the internet are concerned, they talk with my actual ip address which my router then knows how to forward to the right computer. save the proxy method you cannot hide your ip address.
maybe i misunderstood your point though.

yes, when you connect to a website, your real IP is revealed. I was refering to general scanning, which is what most people want to mask their IP from, which Proxies will not hide you from. If you have ever ran an online security scan, you'll note that your router IP was probably what was detected and not your real IP. This is especially true if using firewall software in "stealth".

I was not talking about any direct communication, as that would be where a proxy would be useful.

I was refering to general scanning, which is what most people want to mask their IP from, which Proxies will not hide you from.

i agree

If you have ever ran an online security scan, you'll note that your router IP was probably what was detected and not your real IP.

i dont agree. my argument is that your public ip address is the only thing they actually see.

http://scan.sygate.com/
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

are 2 very common online scans and both show my actual IP address. as a computer programmer that has dealt with this sort of coding i promise you that other computers on the internet must see you as your actual ip. if they get the address of your router and try sending something to it, it winds up back on their own network. to other people on the internet your router assumes your IP address.

now if you sit behind a router and try to find your actual ip address you'll probably just get your local one *similiar to the router one* but other people out there never see you as 192.168.whatever.

the sygate site does say the following though...
Note: this may not be your IP address if you are connecting through a router, proxy or firewall.

however i would imagine this is only the case if and only if the router has it's own unique IP address on the internet at large, which would be weird.

i dont mean to argue with you storm, i just have never seen a case where a website or any other computer saw my router ip. if you could post a link to such a site i would be very interested in looking at it.

If you want to shield yourself effectively from the internet, sign up with http://www.anonymizer.com

Once you are registered and have it active, you could try the likes of gibsons research (www.grc.com) and run their shields-up test.

He can't do that test on my (anonymized) connection, because I have no callback for DNS and the IP that he discovers, changes every minute or so, so no joy for pirates as well.

Highly recommendable.

can't you create a command line like c/windows/network/changeIPaddressevery10sec./, instead of a router or anonymizer for you home? if not are these the only options that we are left with to protect our privacy?

to run programs that connect to other networks or sites, then you can install a program called sockscap. This can multi chain proxies and its almost impossible to trace back.

Originally posted by filthy_mcnasty

i dont agree. my argument is that your public ip address is the only thing they actually see.

Correct.

as a computer programmer that has dealt with this sort of coding i promise you that other computers on the internet must see you as your actual ip.

Don't throw credentials in peoples faces, it is quite rude - And believe me, StormBringer is an extremely intelligent person who is very well reasoned. You don't have to stoop to that to argue with him.

if they get the address of your router and try sending something to it, it winds up back on their own network. to other people on the internet your router assumes your IP address.

now if you sit behind a router and try to find your actual ip address you'll probably just get your local one *similiar to the router one* but other people out there never see you as 192.168.whatever.

For being a "computer programmer that has dealt with this sort of coding" you seem to be pretty clueless as to how a router functions. All routers have at minimum two IP addresses, one for each network it is connected to. Most home users' routers will have one external address on one network, then one internal address on another network. The internal network should be one of the three reserved blocks, 10.*, 192.168.*, or 172.smth.*

however i would imagine this is only the case if and only if the router has it's own unique IP address on the internet at large, which would be weird.

That is not weird at all. Most DSL and Cable users will have a DSL or cable Router that has the external address assigned to it by the ISP open to the public. Some exceptions include circumstances in which the router has a reserved (LAN) IP on both sides, such as a 192.168.1.1 address for internal and 192.168.0.1 for external. In these cases, the ISP is intentionally putting that user (or users) behind a seperate network, which is perfectly fine as long as the user does not require direct incoming communications.

i dont mean to argue with you storm, i just have never seen a case where a website or any other computer saw my router ip.

Well, then you would be wrong. Sure, nothing from the outside can see the routers internal IP, but eventually, no matter what, the routers external IP will be used and visible.

An example for my home:

(the internet)
|
|
|
(My router [66.15.117.2])
<-->
(Other end of my router[192.168.0.100])
|
|
|
(36-port switch)
192.168.0.1 through 192.168.0.30 - My home network

and you have confused the symantics.

mine is as follows....

(the internet)
|
|
|
(My router [24.whatever])
<-->
(Other end of my router[192.168.1.1])
|
|
|
192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.200 - My home network

any connection through any of the computers on my home network shows the 24.8.whatever ip address on the other computer. that was my point. i was trying to not be rude but you have gone and done just that. your router does not have it's own ip address to the internet at large and this was my point all along, rather your connection has an ip address assigned to it and the router splits that up. do you see the point i'm trying to make? yes the router has multiple ip addresses but only one of those matters to people trying to scan ip ranges and all that junk that the original post was about. that's all they see and a router does not cloak that.

as for the local network ip stuff, you seem to think i'm wrong in saying that it wont send back on itself. ping 192.something and it goes to your network, that was my other point. if they were able to see those ips and tried sending data on them it wouldn't get anywhere. slow down and take a second to read (and comprehend) what my point was before jumping all over it.

i define my router IP as the 192.168.1.1 one that I see it as and the other one as my actual ip.

You are very confused. A router does not "split up" an IP address. That is a physical impossibility - An IP is bound to a single networking device, period, end of story. The miracle of IP routing and network address translation allow a single IP to be "shared" by a multiple computers only in that ideology - the address itself is still used by only one device, that device being the router.

The Router has the IP

End of story

Network address translation allows it to hold tables for access going out and marking packets. Now, if you have port forwarding or DMZ, the IP is still held only by the router, it is not "split" at all, however the router will act as a bridge only at certain points.

as for the local network ip stuff, you seem to think i'm wrong in saying that it wont send back on itself. ping 192.something and it goes to your network, that was my other point. if they were able to see those ips and tried sending data on them it wouldn't get anywhere. slow down and take a second to read (and comprehend) what my point was before jumping all over it.

I guess you completely ignored my entire post. I agreed with you about internal networks - You were correct and I did not say you were wrong. You ARE wrong however, about a router "splitting" an IP address. The router DOES hold at least one external address that DOES go to that router - What the router chooses to do with said particular packet is a different story altogether.

jesus christ i can see what acid was talking about. split is just a word. all computers on your home network appear to have the same ip address to the internet at large and that's the ip of the connection itself. that's been my point all along and i can tell you agree with that. i realize that it's not actually divided but holy god you just want to argue with me.

Maybe this will clear some things up,

Users get there IP assigned by there ISP, if there is no router the client computer gets the IP. If there is a router the router gets the IP and the router gives a differend IP to each computer in the network from a presurved range(192.168.*.*, 127.*.*.*).

Now for a simple example :
if your external IP that you get from you ISP is 213.224.6.249 then thats the IP your router has.
Inside your network(your pc's connected to your router) have IP's like 192.168.0.101.
If you make a connection to a server on-line the router creates a session and the server sends packets back to the external ip with the session so that your router knows to witch computer to send the packet.

The server never knows the internal IP adres only the external.

Be aware that there are ways to find out what your internal ip adres is!!

Greets Crazy,

PS : Hope this clears some things up

thank you crazy. that's exactly the point i've been trying to make. it's the same point soul has been trying to make too he just seems to want to argue with my symantics and call me clueless.

I dont think it can be explained any easyer because thats the way it was explained to me when i learned it at school:grinthumb, wel almost. Thats just the part i remember:rolleyes:

The only way to make it even more clearer is to post the drawing i have:D.

Greets Crazy

Originally posted by Crazy

The server never knows the internal IP adres only the external.

Be aware that there are ways to find out what your internal ip adres is!!

Greets Crazy,

PS : Hope this clears some things up
That is what I was trying to point out to begin with when Filthy took it the wrong way and decided to argue about it.

Your best bet would be using a router and a software firewall together, the router's IP will be what most people would see as your IP.

the router's ip IS your ip as far as other people online are concerned. that's been the point all along. if someone is infected with a trojan guess what ip an attacker connects to, behind a router or not.

perhaps i did misunderstand what you were saying storm but
i'm done arguing this mute point with people who dont even take the time to read a post and want to insult others simply because they dont understand what i'm trying to say. i made it very clear that i wasn't trying to argue with you or anyone else and yet that's what has happened.

to the original poster, i am sorry what this thread has become. hopefully some of these other posts were helpful to you.

over and out.

ip address

my os is xp pro, i have zonealarm free,cookie wall, AVG, and i did blkviper super tweek 411 and 3D spotlight xp tweak the only thing i didn't do in 3d spotlight is the service listing (cont.#5), advanced TCP/ip settings. when i go grc.com sheilds up test i'm getting stealth across and maybe i'm worried about nothing, (you know how newbe's can be)download everything! i kinda like what realblackstuff said sounds easy, but not sure what boxes to uncheck to have no callback for DNS, couldn't u just do that?:eek:

If you want stealth mode, set ZoneAlarm to "High" security.

There is no way to prevent anyone from doing a reverse lookup on your IP (besides doing everything through a proxy server). And even if there was, it would be pretty much useless anyway.

Tigger, it is Anonymizer's program that hides your identity (read IP address) from the world. There are no switches to be set.

U'r all nutz

Just another computer programmer here.

Goofing around with winsock has taught me that it's my modem that obtains the IP address from my ISP. That ip address never changes and will be delivered to every socket you connect to on the internet. In otherwords, routers will not make you anonymous. Any attempt at 2 way communication over the internet will reveal your true IP address which can be traced directly to your ISP. Your ISP can use that IP address to determine your name and address since, of course, you PAY the ISP for that IP address.

All your router does is relay information received by your modem to one or more VIRTUAL IP address which are assigned to one or more computers plugged into the other side of your router.

So, in a nutshell...

ISP
|
WALL
|
MODEM (REAL IP)
|
ROUTER
/ | \
(IP) (IP) (IP) (VIRTUAL IP ADDRESSES)
| | |
NC NC NC (Network Cards)

When you connect to another computer over the internet, your REAL IP address is sent to the computer your connecting to. Otherwise, the computer your connecting to would not be able to send anything back to your modem.

You could of course SPOOF your IP by forging the source IP field on your outgoing TCP/IP packet headers, but don't expect to get a response back. Any response will be sent to the IP you spoofed.

And that is exactly wherer Anonymizer steps in. It absorbs your IP-address, uses one of its own to pass on your request to another website, then that website sends its answer back to Anonymizer using Anon's IP-address, and finally Anon passes on the message to your home-IP-address. Only Anon would have seen your IP-address, thus "spoofing" it as you say.

I guess you really can't hide your IP address from everyone, if someone knows what their doing they could find out everything about you even if you have a router or using anonymizer right!I was at this site www.jmarshall.com/tools/cgiproxy would this be the same as anonymizer? if nothing else, I surely have learned a great deal more about IP addresses from everyone! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back