High cpu usage caused by rundll32.exe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi recently I'm experiencing this problem: whenever I'm in the computer for more than 10 minutes rundll32.exe start and takes 50% + - of my cpu usage.
If I kill the process beside that I cant run anything else, another application kick in using 50% + -, and samething goes for the other application, if I close one another one starts running 50%... Never saw this before I already ran norton 360 but couldnt find anything... going out of ideias here.

Can anyone help me? If anymore info are needed Ill be grad to poste it.

Thanks in advance.
Made.

I would start by going into MSCONFIG and deselcting any needlessly services and background programs. Then take it from there.

Been there already removed some itens, but I dont know maybe this is what caused? rundll32.exe is at 50 now 49, 50, 48, 49 48, 49...

Aff If I kill lets see... hum.. strange, application is working... and so far no other application at high cpu usage.

This is so strange before I was different, could it be a virus?

More likely spyware. I advise to my customers to use 3 anti-spyware as no one can yet detect and remove everything. Here are the 3 I recommend:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Ansti-Spyware
All are free and can be downloaded via the Internet

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There's no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you're only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that particular section.

I have heard that Spybot S&D will delete items it shouldnt? But thats a discussion for another time.

Brazil, i would make sure that file name is unchecked in msconfig. Also, try one of the spyware sweepers that almcneil suggested, or buy one. I would suggest Webroot Spy Sweeper. And i personally do not like Norton, because from my experience it doesnt accomplish much. Try running Avast Antivirus home edition, (its free) and make sure your antivirus programs are not running, because it is smart to only use one antivirus, as running more than one can conflict with each other. (multiple spyware sweepers are fine, as far as i have heard)

Hi,

May I suggest that you read this thread here on how to speed up your system.

SpyBot is definitely safe to use. It is one of the top rated software for systems around, and I'll recommend it to anyone.

If you are using AVG antivirus, by all means retain it and use it for scans. Our site recommends AVG or Avast. I agree about norton, as it is a serious system hogger on top of providing inefficient defence.

If you suspect your system to be infected with malware, please do the following.

Important: Please read this thread HERE before you decide whether to clean or reformat your system.

Should you decide to clean your computer, please go ahead to Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps given. Do follow all the instructions exactly. They will provide logs for analysis of your system so I will know how to instruct you to proceed.

Thereafter, please post fresh HijackThis, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread. Do not copy and paste your logs if not it will be ignored and/or removed.

Also, please let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of MadeInBrazil only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks you all Ill be downloading Spybot, anf will post by tonight, as i have to leave right now. just stoped by to check the thread.

once again thanks to evryone.

Made.

Hi,

It would be easier to just do a HijackThis scan for checking logs. You can download it from the link in my signature.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of MadeInBrazil only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back