High CPU% usage when burning DVD with Adobe Prem Elements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an LG DVD burner and everything appears to be working well. I can burn a data DVD with Nero and do about 4 gb in 6 minutes. So, I know it's working okay.

When I try to burn a 53 minute DVD with Adobe Premiere Elements (home videos), I encounter problems. Basically, when its encoding the data (the first step) it says the time remaining is around 4-5 hours. Does this seem right?

Also, the CPU% goes really high. I tried burning it last night before I went to bed and when I woke up I had a virtual memory error. It looked like about 75% along the way it stopped with the error.

Now, I've been searching around reading about VM, etc. and I've tried a few things:
* expanding my VM
* closing down programs in the background both manually and with msconfig (all non-windows programs) then retried it
* defragged HD
* my hard disk has 10 gb remaining so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm thinking that maybe its the Adobe program. Any ideas on how I can get this thing to encode/burn faster?

download and put to use updates from adobe and if possible updates from LG for your drivers/firmware.

I figured it out... (copy and paste from Adobe's help menu)

The DVD-video format requires MPEG2 compression. To maintain maximum quality, Adobe Premiere Elements compresses the movie only as much as necessary to fit it on the DVD. The shorter your movie, the less compression required, and the higher the quality of the video on the DVD.

Compressing video and audio for use on a DVD is very time-consuming, even on high-end, dedicated systems. The time required varies depending upon the speed of the computer processor, the amount of available memory, and the complexity and length of a project. A standard video project of 60 minutes may take from 4 to 6 hours to burn. Many DVD producers leave a project to burn overnight rather than wait and watch for a project to complete.

Another thing that might help is to increase the size/location of Nero's cache folder. Ideally if it can be on a seperate partition/drive from Windows and about 1.5 to 2 times the size of the project.
I have an older 8.4G drive i use strictly for this purpose.
Haven't done any movies or slideshows in awhile but all other burn projects run very smooth.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back