High Ping On Home Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigredmachine

Tonight I played a couple rounds of MOH on my home network with my younger brother. As I am used to getting a ping of 1-10 I am now getting a ping of 40-50 which I dont think is normal. I turned off zone alarm on both computers. The last time we played I had the same router but since I have ugraded my wireless card from b to g. Is there any reason for the high ping I'm getting?

Did you have any other traffic on the network? P2P programs? Wireless is an ether type of network, meaning that only one station can transmit anything at any moment in time. Any traffic will slow down all other traffic.

Also, wireless is slow and unreliable by definition :p If you want performance and reliability, then you should be using wired connections.

My laptop with at wireless-b card has a ping of 2 when connected but my desktop with a wireless-g card has a ping of 50? Whats with that?

bigredmachine said:
My laptop with at wireless-b card has a ping of 2 when connected but my desktop with a wireless-g card has a ping of 50? Whats with that?
hum; one router with b/g modes; known to cause problems.
can you force both systems into the same mode and diable the other in the router?

The computer with the brand new belkin 802.11g card has a ping of 50 while the computer with the 5 year old microsoft broadband networking 802.11b card has a ping of 2. Neither are hosting the game. Both are in the same room. Both running the same programs. This cant be right.

I dont understand what it is saying. My setup is a desktop connected to a 802.11g router through ethernet, then another desktop connected by a 802.11g adapter wirelessly. I only used the wireless-b laptop to see if it has the high ping as well.

bigredmachine said:
I dont understand what it is saying. My setup is a desktop connected to a 802.11g router through ethernet, then another desktop connected by a 802.11g adapter wirelessly. I only used the wireless-b laptop to see if it has the high ping as well.
make your life simple; MAKE ALL SYSTEMS B OR G, but not one of each :)

But when we are gaming only the ethernet connected computer and the g computer are connected...the b laptop is off..Maybe it is just the game causing me problems

bigredmachine said:
...Maybe it is just the game causing me problems
IMO, that would be true; just search for 'high ping rate'
and you'll see it's usually associated with games.

Did you actually try setting your router to g-only mode? (Instead of "auto" or "b and g")

Generally, a ping of 40-50 is fine really! I've seen people play on a ping of 200 without experiencing any lag problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back