High pitched sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

If anybody can shed some insight, it would be most welcomed. I've encountered a few things in my computer life but this one well... please read.

My system first off...
P4 3.0GHz, 865PE, P5P800, 400W Power Supply, some mid size copper fan sitting on cpu, ATI x800 AIW, Bluetooth keyboard/mouse...
My cpu used to cook at high temperatures, that's prescott for you.

Went to the store, got a case fan, compressed air, and a new hd.

Cleaned it up, mounted fan and installed hd. Didn't really notice it at first, but then started to hear this high pitched sound. Rebooted, same thing..
Finally can't take it anymore, opened the case, and it seems to be eminating from near the cpu. It usually happens when it's taxed but the kicker is...
it always happens when i move the mouse. It sounds like crickets almost.

Anybody have any ideas? I cannot see it being the new hard drive, it is not in use yet. (original and new are SATA if it's relevant).

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Thats an odd one, I would say it was the HSF (heat sink fan) for your CPU but since it happens when you move your mouse, it must be either the mouse or the CPU itself... Try using a different type of mouse (ie PS2 or USB). If this doesnt solve the problem, check to see if everything is plugged in properly (actually you should do that before mouse)... And if that doesnt work, see if you can swap your CPU over with another one to see if this is the problem.

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back