Highly increased web attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehacker

Hello guys,
the topic is too large to be written in the title.
I want to ask members round here.
2 years back i was using DIAL-UP with WinXP professional installed. And believe me i hadn't installed any security softwares like firewalls,AVs or anti-spywares. And i was using that dial-up from 2003. So, for 2 years i used that computer without any security. And once i had installed AVs and firewalls too but got no security alerts from them. Checked my system with all possible softwares for hijacks and malwares but found none except some tracking cookies....I tried ZA for 2 months on that conection. Merely 10-50 attack attempts were blocked.
Now, i hv broadband connection of 2Mbps. When i got it two years back i tried using it widout any security softwares installed as i did previously. But within 10-15minutes my WinXP Pro became infected. Tried this more than 30-50 times by reinstalling windows XP pro. But same thing happened. So, i was compelled to use security softwares. Actually i dont want to use these softwares as they use too much system resources howsoever advanced system u have. and second important thing for hating these kinda softwares are they bring down by connection speed too much.
Now, for example just 8days ago i hv reinstalled ZA. And till writing this thread it has blocked more than 17,000 :eek: :eek: . I dont understand why Broadband is more affected than dial-ups. Are they only due to high speeds? or something else might be the case with me?
I hv a old PC. I like testing it for the time it takes to become infected with no s.softwares. :D. Maxm. time was 12mins. all other installations were infeted in less than that time.
Drop ur suggestions here.

And with above statistics is it safe to use Windows firewall. I m currently using ZA but planning to remove it as it slows connection speed.

Broadband is connected permanently to the net, so that`s why it`s so important to have security software installed. At the very least, firewall software is a must.

If you don`t like Zonealarm, then try one of the following alternatives.

Kerio or Comodo free firewall programmes.

In my opinion, Windows firewall, while better than nothing, leaves a lot to be desired.

Regards Howard :)

lolz. i think people round here hates MICROSOFT..:D thanks howards. but i just wanted that windows firewall doesnot slow my b.band. so can i continue up with that?
and here in my country b.band are not always connected. they have a dial-up type connecting procedure....it needs a id/password everytime u restart connection.

I`m not a Microsoft hater, I just don`t think the Windows firewall is adequate.

it needs a id/password everytime u restart connection.

Yes, but how often once you`ve logged on to the connection, do you stop it? Normally, you`d just leave it connected until you switched off your system right?

This is why you got infected so quickly when you didn`t have any security software installed.

Comodo is very light on system resources, compared to Zonealarm. At least give it a try and see what you think.

i have tried that howards. yes comdo is good but there is a issue with it. Comdo actually ask for several outgoing/incoming connections for a software(for ex. IE) in a same pop-up window. you have to click next to see the other warning. and if you click yes without clicking yes it allows all the connections. thats risky.
So, i reverted back to ZA.
But i have used windows firewall for 2-3days and got no infection except some tracking cookies. so, i want to go back to it.
Usually the duration of connectin for my broadband and dial-up is same. I switch off the system as soon as my work is over. i dont let my system on standby for a single second.

If you really want to use Windows Firewall, then go ahead, just don`t be surprised if your system becomes compromised. ;)

Some malware can disable the Windows firewall.

:eek: thanks for the info howards.
One more thing i wud like to tell is that people in my state uses internet mostly for checking their email(not secure one from bank etc. but from friends), chatting and just surfing website.
things like online banking, credit cards use on internet and paypals are rare here. here people use net just for fun.
So for these purposes is windows firewall not sufficient too?
Please dont be irritated. :)

I`m not irritated at all mate lol.

I can only give you my own personal opinion and that is, I wouldn`t use the Windows firewall for the reason I gave you earlier. However, it is completely up to you.

I guess, providing you`re sensible about your surfing habits, you shouldn`t run into any major problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back