Hitting rock bottom, Gator ads legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Gator-style ads work in form of pop-ups and pop-unders targetting users by the sites they visit and other measurements... this is spyware, of course, now a court has decided these type of ads are legal.

The summary decision, handed down last week, was a blow to U-Haul in its lawsuit to bar software maker WhenU.com from delivering competitors' ads to visitors to U-Haul's site. The judge granted WhenU's motion to dismiss charges of trademark infringement, unfair competition and copyright infringement.

Read more: CNet News.

Thats kind of the wrong direction from what we have been reading and all hoping for in eliminating spam.
Man I hate Gator, and Gator Style stuff.

There's always an option to use operating systems where spyware like this either doesn't work or doesn't exist. But then again, there might be cases where some things won't work without this spyware.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
There's always an option to use operating systems where spyware like this either doesn't work or doesn't exist. But then again, there might be cases where some things won't work without this spyware.

Agreed.

Man this is horrible, why do people think this is legal, or good? I would imagine that they get bombarded with this stuff to, and probably don't like it. What is wrong with these people? I guess we need to start sending them even more spam and nonsense.

Then maybe they can try to get it overturned like in Roe vs. Wade, where the lady is trying to get abortion made illegal again after she had a trial to make it legal so many years ago.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

It's true you could use another OS but you can't blame Windows either, the only reason other OS do not suffer from spyware is because they are not the common denominator at which spammers like Gator target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back