HL2/SWG Load, then as they're about to play. I reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I posted this in another forum too, didnt see this one as I was on google before!

--

Ok firstly I'm right pissed off.

Now for the problem, I try and load HL2, it gets to the splash screen with the "loading" in the corner and as its about to display its glorious 3D splashscreen... bang, reboots my computer. Hmm strange, I try and load CS: Source and it does the same thing, as with HL1: Source. Ok I'm seeing a pattern already.

Hadn't been able to play SWG for a few days as I shall indicate below, finally got everything updated after numourous downloads stopping and failing sigh. Anyway, load SWG, get all the way through loading and bang.. the computer bloody restarts again! Very frustrating as I really wanted to play.

Recentely whats happened to my computer:

Playing fine and I decided I needed to reboot, harmless, do it every day. Then it crashes on bootup, argh, reset my bios so now I'm running at 1100mhz, I change it back and boot it up. Get to the "windows is stupid and thought that it would give you some options to choose knowing full well it'll right piss you off" screen. So I choose start windows normally and it hangs, and hangs.. and you guessed it, it hangs. I reboot again, it gets to the same screen and I choose Safe Mode, it proceeds to load but gets caught on mup.sys's out sticking branch and hangs there like a little brother on a door coat hook.

Frustrated with this, I go to bed. Wake up and see the problem is still there. I left it and went to my Dads for the day, come back at 9:30pm and stay up all night walking from my computer to my brothers, taking my drive in and out, trying lots of fixes, file transfers and debugging tools. It gets to 5am and I'm beat, this things stressed me out leaving me with no other option but to format and re-install, so I do so the next day.

All is peachy again! Yay!

Having had a problem previously with Doom3, where it played once.. and I got bored and went to bed, come back and try play again and it wouldn't work. Nor would any other games I thought, maybe this fresh install will allow it to work fine, alas it did! Played some levels of Doom3 and its very stunning but at the same time very boring. Played it for a few days.

Anyway, all I can assume is that Doom3 has caused another problem and I fear the only thing is to re-install. Although this time, normal CS and Half-Life mods work fine so perhaps its the new graphics engines that don't like my computer as it is now?

Recentely went to a LAN, and someone pointed out my PSU fan was slowing right down and stopping. Now its completely stopped and I've ordered another PSU/Case.

Does anyone have any ideas?

On a side note, something weird happened to me during a CS PCW, I was happily running around and I suddenly lagged, and my netgraph showed a 488ms ping, the I got the old cl_flushentitypacket error and I was able to carry on about 10 seconds later, then it happened again and again. Then the last time it happened, HL.exe just closed without an error or warning. So I kicked myself through rcon and rejoined the server. I lagged about 10 minutes in and crashed promptly after. Same happened again about 10 minutes later after joining.

I've just spent a good hour playing CS on a public server and nothing happened, I didn't lag or crash or anything.

I've noticed that programs take a few seconds to initialize, especially Steam but this is only recentely.

My PC spec is this:

[04:15:47] [@[Ts^ToejaM]]: CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (Thoroughbred)
[04:15:50] [@[Ts^ToejaM]]: CPU Speed: 1.46 GHz
[04:15:54] [@[Ts^ToejaM]]: RAM: Used: 256/1024MB
[04:15:57] [@[Ts^ToejaM]]: HD: [C:] 1.62/28.63 GB
[04:15:59] [@[Ts^ToejaM]]: Monitor: Default
[04:16:02] [@[Ts^ToejaM]]: Video Card: nVidia GeForce FX 5700LE
[04:16:03] [@[Ts^ToejaM]]: Sound Card: SB Live! Audio [CC00]
[04:19:25] [@[Ts^ToejaM]]: Mainboard: K7S5A
[04:19:29] [@[Ts^ToejaM]]: Mainboard Manufacturer: ECS
[04:19:30] [@[Ts^ToejaM]]: Mainboard Version: 1.0
[04:19:31] [@[Ts^ToejaM]]: Bios: American Megatrends Inc.
[04:19:33] [@[Ts^ToejaM]]: Bios Date: 04/02/01
[04:19:35] [@[Ts^ToejaM]]: Bios Version: 07.00T

Any ideas people? I'm at a loss.

Other than being told to install my chipset which I can't find the drivers for online or on disk, I don't know what to do.

Going to give my graphics drivers a re-install and see if that fixes it but I don't think thats the problem.

Welcome to TechSpot Forums

Rebooting could be caused by a number of things, probably the most common are faulty drivers or overheating.

Some PSUs slow down the fan(s) if they're not drawing full power in order to stay quieter.

However, 1+1 is about 2, so if the PSU fan really fails, increased PSU temperature can cause voltage fluctuation and less power output (as the thermal efficiency is usually around 70%), and as mainboards don't usually tolerate much variance in voltages they shut down or reboot (or make some other weird things happen).

Sorry but I just don't understand that reinstalling the whole operating system is The Solution for every problem.

Gotcha!

My new case should arrive today actually, that was a post I cut and paste onto a few forums.

Soon as it arrives, with new PSU and HDD i'll see if thats the problem.

The case has 3 fans also so should be a pretty cool interior. Plus it looks damn sexy!

Will keep ya updated and thanks.

DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful.
Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful.
Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.

?

From googling that error, I found some forums.. on the third page of a post there was an entry which said along the lines of:

Rollback your driver, if you can't then uninstall it, download the previous driver which is

Version: 61.77
Release Date: July 27, 2004

Install, reboot e.c.t and alas.. I SEE HL2!!!!!

/me runs off to re-install SWG.

http://download.sis.com/ Download the AGP and IDE drivers. Id seriously consider upgrading your motherboard. That board was a budget model when it was new, now its practically an antique. You'd get alot better performance from your video card as well with a board that has an 8x agp slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back