Home Network File/Printer Sharing Setup , internet Speed slows, **Help Needed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

thmandan22

Ok, so we get a new computer, We have a router already, our old computer, and my xbox (for xboxlive) hooked up to it. Speed is fast everything is great, i hook up my new computer , The speed is still great (3Megabit downstream and 256Kb up). So one day I am pondering an alternative to burning 20 CD-R's to transfer the data, and i come across "share files and printer" SO i try to set it up, but i am going between Windows ME and Windows XP HOME SP2. I can recieve Files on my New computer and send them from my Old Computer, that is great, so i transfer about 5GB of data in about 30minutes. So i have important files from the old computer on my new computer, this is great. only later do i find out that the internet is slow now. It was fine before i enabled the file sharing between the computer. but afterword, slowness. taking a alot longer to load webpages, so i was wondering, Why is this, Maybe and explanation , or somthing that i could do to fix this, OR any help, Please respond THANK YOU, DAN

Are you browsing while sharing/transfering files? That would definitely cause it.

Edit: This is in the wrong forum... :hotouch:

No, before i enabled file sharing everything was just fine , and we could browse the web at the same time with no adverse speed affect, but after it definatly slowed down. (We were still on a lan before we just couldnt share files)

Well, i seemed to fix it. I disabled the file/print share and, then I did another reboot of the modem, router and networked computers. The router and modem must have been tired or somthing.I really dont know otherwise, but im guessing that when i enabled the file/print share it was corrupt somehow and my computers where having a hard time sharing the connection because somthing was going on. somwhere. I'm guessing that there were little people in my CAt5 cord fighting, just a guess, i could be totally wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back