Home network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am having nightmares getting my 2 pc's to connect using a crossover cable.

One is on XP Home (No service packs) and the other is XP home SP2. Both have the network cards installed and are working ok.

I have used network wizard to create the network. Each PC has its own shared folder but cannot see the other pc.

i have set up the ip address as per many tutorials (ie IP address 192.168.0.x and subnet 255.255.255.0) but i am still having problems.

1 PC can ping the IP address of the other, but not the name, the other pc cant ping the other pc at all.

All firewalls are disabled as well

Any ideas how to get this working :( :(
Thanks in advance!

it may be that you have different workgroups.. go to system properties under control panel. then goto computer name. in there it will say workgroup: (xxxxxx)
make sure that both pcs are on the same workgroup. it is not essential but its easier to use the network then..

also if you just want to copy stuff over from one computer to the other.. you could goto start - run - and type in the following:

\\192.168.0.x

x being the number for the computer you wish to connect to. if you can ping the computer you should be able to connect to it.

you should also ensure that simple file sharing is enabled on both pc's. to do this goto my network places - view network connections - connection properties and select/check file and printer sharing for windows..

after all is done, it should work, else repost here... :)

@pkroks,

Thanks for the swift reply. Both PC's are on the same workgroup, default MSHOME. Print sharing is on, but when i type in \\192.168.0.x (obviously changing the x!) xp says the network location can not be reached......... :( :(

it could be your cable or your ethernet cards. what cards are you using? try updating your drivers or uninstalling and reinstalling... if you can swap out your cable for another one and see or just test the cable with another pc.

I have updated all drivers etc.. Cant check the cable as i only have 1, but if i disconnect it from either pc the other states that it is disconnected - does this mean that it is ok as both pc's recognise it?

i have done some more testing and here are my IP pinging results.

The 2 PC's are called ALPHA and BETA on Workgroup mshome:

Results for Alpha -
1) can ping BETA by either IP or name
2) can ping local host (127.0.0.1)
3) can't ping itself by IP (192.168..etc)
4) cant ping itself by using name (alpha)

Results for BETA -
1) Pinging Alpha IP = Timed out
2) Pinging Alpha by name = Ping request could not find host alpha
3) can ping local host (127.0.0.1)
4) Can ping itself be name (beta) or IP

As said before, neither pc can see each other on the other pc...

ANY IDEAS??? :knock:

Type ipconfig /all at the command line and give us the readout for each machine. Obviously, xxx out the internet IP and the MAC addresses.

Also ensure ALL firewalls are turned OFF while trying to troubleshoot the network (even if it means disconnecting the internet) as this can save a lot of hassle sometimes. This includes both any software firewalls, and also winXP SP2's integrated Windows Firewall.

you might have disabled the firewall you have running but have you disabled the SP2 firewall?

Try running the network set up wizards again.

yeah, still got problems. disabled XP firewall and all software firewalls. I think ill have another go tonight...

thanks for everyones input!!

Can u ping each other yet? U need 2 at least be able to do that b4 anything else really! Also check that on each pc ur using in Network Places - Properties - & check if you have enabled simple file sharing (or whatever its called ... sorry but im on WIN98 ATM!)

If both pc's have NIC's then its as simple as crossover (red) cable to each NIC & yeah your workgroup might help too. But if u enable simple file sharing it should sort u.

Give em each a static IP address too just to see if u can at least ping each other (TCP/IP Properties) & default gateway sometimes sorts my Networking problems (192.168.1.1).

Once u've done all of that & more ... share a folder & see if u can access it from the other pc. Let us know how u go :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back