Home Phone Line Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

truffles

Hello,

During the month of October, I would like to buy and setup a home phone line network consisting of 2 hpn pci cards, 1 router, 2 computers. I would like to network 2 computers and share files and a network dsl connection.

Would anyone happen to know is it possible to use a standard hardware router to route my internet connection. I know phoneline routers exists, but they are very expensive.

Do you think this would work?

normal nic ~> rj45 lan to standard router ~> rj45 lan converter adapter to rj11 phoneline ~> phoneline jack

jack ~> rj11 phoneline ~> homephoneline card

Would these converters work with the router?

Thank You!

Heh. You could even network through your home A/C power system. Lol. It's called Phonex Broadband. Hasn't really caught on, however...wonder why...:rolleyes:

Yes you can, it's called HomePNA. Don't know if it's still around, likely it is.

Going wireless is probably a better idea. More bandwidth, definitely more choice in product manufacturers.

Home A/C Power System is a possibility :grinthumb . It would be better than HomePNA because the power outlets are even closer to the computers =) . Unfortunatly, the setup is more expensive. I don't know about sharing connection through this standard. I would imagine it would be even more complicated.

I'll love to go wireless, but I'm not quite ready for it yet. I did some research for the pass couple of weeks.
I found this neat product from BlueGear which allows you to setup a network using bluetooth technology. It's $128 cdn to network 2 pcs together. I would go for it, but there is no available hardware router which goes with this product. The speed is around 1.5mb/s which is slow . . . but is ok for ICS. The range is about 55feet.

802.11b is just to expensive over here!

I really would like to go with phone line networking only because theres not much more other solutions. Cat5 would be best for me but I am not allowed to drill holes, bring wires outside, wire them out the room, through the hallways, up the 2 stairs, through another hallway, into my room.
It is kinda sad that the other computer is right above this one.

Vehementi and or anybody, do you know if those module converters would work with the router and in a PNA network ?

Well, that is beyond the realm of my knowledge on HomePNA. I just heard about it in an article by PCGamer on how to make your own wireless network...:rolleyes:

Umm, is your house cabled for Cable TV? Coaxial networks are a thing of the past, but still possible.

Well, that is beyond the realm of my knowledge on HomePNA.

I am sure there is got to be someone who is a member and can help =)~ .

Yes, my house is cabled for Cable TV. I am sorry, I don't know what Coaxial Networking is. If you don't mind could Vehementi and or anyone tell me about it. Or maybe any websites with more information I can refer to? Hopefully, this method would help me. Thank You !

Cheers,
Pixelating Degree.

Coax was one of the first methods of networking, replaced by Cat5. It still has the longest range of any networking modality today, but, Cat5 is alot faster.

Uber-FAQ about alternate home networks - includes HomePNA, Coaxial, and AC power plug.

This technology uses the same type of coaxial cable that is used by cable TV. It provides a reliable medium for data transport and has long-distance capability. Typically used by cable operators to send data into the home, it terminates near the television and is thus an uncommon means of distributing data through the home.

In order for the IBM system to allow PC–to–PC networking, a combination of coaxial cable and twisted pair are used. There are no systems that allow for PC–to–PC communications using only coaxial cable.

Argh! Maybe not, but this may be outdated...

Originally posted by truffles
I am sure there is got to be someone who is a member and can help =)~ .

Too bad we're the only one's online at the moment :stickout:

'Cept a few guests who need to register, that is.

You can connect two computers with just coax cable. You just need T-connectors in both PCs and terminators where the cable ends, like
Code:
|--+---------------+--|
   |               |
  PC             PC

Another option is to use a crossover cable (RJ45), but neither of these options help if you have only one NIC in both PCs, assuming your DSL connection plugs into 1st PC's NIC already.
In my humble opinion, the easiest way would be getting a small hub and set up a CAT5 network, connecting both PCs and the DSL modem to the hub. But that may cause problems if your ISP allows only one computer to connect directly.
I'm not an expert in networking myself..

Originally posted by truffles
Cat5 would be best for me but I am not allowed to drill holes, bring wires outside, wire them out the room, through the hallways, up the 2 stairs, through another hallway, into my room.
It is kinda sad that the other computer is right above this one.

He can't :rolleyes:

About wireless...how about you just buy it over here if it's so expensive over there? You do live in BC, it's not that big of a drive :stickout: I still say that's your best solution.

Originally posted by Vehementi
wireless

How are the 2 pc gonna be placed? Wireless signals are prone to interference by frequencies, walls can also act as barriers and weaken the signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back