Home to Pro but its not genuine (huh?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spookn

OK, first of all, ya gotta love cheap ppl! Always trying to save a buck. And then it costs more!
I am fixing (trying) a PC that has Home on it. They (I assume) tried to load Pro from somewhere (of course no one knows how this happened).
When it boots, a window appears that states: " This copy of windows is not genuine. You have not resolved the issue yet and are not eligable for security updates,,,
Then two options to clk on, "Get Genuine now", or "resolve later."
This window states that it is windows pro, but the OS when you hit "resolve later", is Home (which was the original OS). That is why I figure someone tried to upgrade to pro in a bad way.
Can't do a sys restore.
Does anyone know of a way to get it back to home without the boot message?
Re formatting being the last option.
Thanks in advance
Brian

Well the problem is its an illegal copy of windows and it was bootlegged, piracy whatever you want to call it, thats why it wasnt a paid verison so its not genuine so microsoft wont allow it duh Bill Gates has to eat too lol.

I just noticed in the Boot.ini file, at the end ,,,fastdetect/NoExecute=OptIn

Ive never noticed the noexcute=optin before, anyone know what it is?
I dont agree with stealing from Bill, even if he is the richest man on earth, but I'm getting paid to fix it, not care how it got broken :) duh

I think the message you see is due to the WGA download (update). If you system restore prior to it being installed, the message should disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back