Home wireless network acting strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

Hello all,
I am having some very troubling things happen on my wireless network at home. I have 2 laptops that connect to it. My old laptop, which is just used as a media streaming PC for my stereo connects just fine. However my work laptop does not connect to the network. It has worked flawlessly for over a year, and all of the sudden it doesn't work anymore. I have looked through all the settings, turned off MAC filtering, turned off the encryption. And still nothing. This is driving me mad, as I need to get work done on this computer.

It keeps going through and acting like it is going to acquire a network IP address, but never seems to complete the process. I have also checked to be sure there are enough IP addresses available, and there certainly are, I have also increased the number to try as well. Still no luck.

It sits in a continuous loop of Acquiring Network Address.....Disconnected.....Connecting.....Acquiring Network Address......Disconnected.....etc.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

I forgot to mention that I can connect to another unencrypted wireless network on my street just fine.

poertner_1274 said:
It sits in a continuous loop of Acquiring Network Address.....Disconnected.....Connecting.....Acquiring Network Address......Disconnected.....etc.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

I forgot to mention that I can connect to another unencrypted wireless network on my street just fine.

Funny isnt it, I just had the same thing happen on an Inspiron 1300, I was messing with turning off some of the unwanted startup items as well as trying out an ADHOC network, after messing the laptop had the same symptons you describe, and here's why.

I had messed up something in the WIndows Zero Config for wireless networks, Even though the network appeared in the wireless networks list there wasnt an entry for it in advanced settings, ( yes I had removed it playing with the ADHOC network) once i reentered the details such as SSID and WPA_PSK key all was OK.

Further to this I was playing again today with the same laptop, again trying to get an Adhoc Network to work, and I did the same, removed the Network in the advanced settings, again Windows found the network and tried to connect but couldnt until I reentered the SSID and Key.

So if your network is in advanced, remove it and reenter it with the SSID and Key you used originally and see if that helps..

Regards

Wait that might help, but if it doesn't do that, you might have to assign static IP address to you wireless device on that laptop. I know I had the same problem with an old DELL laptop and wireless card. Going static fixed my problem. It might work for you too?

Sorry to not reply sooner. But after a few hours of screwing with it, it finally magically started working again. Things I had already tried without success, seemed to work in the end......I have no idea. Very strange.

Anyway it's all better now :)

Thanks for the help.

poertner_1274 said:
Sorry to not reply sooner. But after a few hours of screwing with it, it finally magically started working again. Things I had already tried without success, seemed to work in the end......I have no idea. Very strange.

Anyway it's all better now :)

Thanks for the help.
hehe.. thats wifi for you... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back