Homebuilt

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfm1200

hi everyone,
finally got around to building my 1st computer.
think i got everything connected but am a little worried about the front panel connectors.
the motherboard is asus p4s8x-x with the typical 2 rows of 10 pins system panel connectors.
i have the manual open at the connector diagram but no specifics on which way to orient the pins.
at the moment i have the plugs with the writing up but i know this will probably turn out to be incorrect.
also have one connector marked "hdd led" which only has 2 pins.
in the manual there is a 2 pin position marked "SMI lead".
what is this for?
also i want to connect the front panel usb. the board connector has 2 rows of pins, 5 on top and 4 on bottom.
i have two main usb front panel plugs marked vcc/usb+/usb-, and 2 single ground wires.
will trial and error work for these usb connectors, thanks

In ASUS manuals, there is normally an indication of the + for the connectors. This nearly always corresponds with the coloured (e.g. red) case-wire of the appropiate pin. The other case-wire (the ground) is nearly always either black or white.
Look further near the end of the Chapter on Hardware Information. Asus always describes every mobo-connector with the appropiate pins.
SMI is System Management Interrupt for switching to suspend mode. The layout of USB-connectors is also shown in your manual.
See pages 1-21 and 1-22.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back