Hook up a "slave" HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

I want to add a second HD. Do I change the jumpers on the 2nd drive to slave and add it onto the same data cable?

Yes, very correct! Just to make sure you've got it right though, I'll rephrase what you have said.

You will need to set the second drive to "slave" by setting its jumpers to slave mode (refer to your manual or manufacturer's website). The primary drive (I'm assuming the hard disk you already have in your system) should be set to master already, so you will not have to change the jumpers on it.

IF you have trouble,, here are some common troubleshooting tips.

1.) Double check jumper settings. If slave/master does not work, then try cable select.
2.) Ensure your cables and nice and snug
3.) Arrange the drives on the cable in a different manner.
4.) Try the new hard disk by itself on master to test if it works
5.) Try a different IDE channel
6.) Check out the BIOS and see if your settings are correct, systems made in the past few years almost always work with "auto" settings.
7.) Try a different cable
8.) Unplug other devices (such as other drives or PCI cards) to make sure the disk is getting enough power. Your PSU could be underrrated and causing strange problems.

If the disk doesn't spin when it is plugged up, you either have a bad disk or #6 is a likely cause.

If you are using Windows 98 or Me (or any Windows OS for that matter), make sure you double check whether or not the hard disk is set to "DMA mode" in device manager. Many times, it defaults to PIO mode which is woefully slow.

Enabling "IDE busmaster" in your BIOS (if available) will increase disk speed outside of the Windows enviroment usually.. I recommend leaving this on if you use things like Drive Image.

And lastly, don't hit anything with a big hammer.

That should keep me straight.

The druve I'm going to use is out of another machine with an OS on it.

Do I need to re-format it? And if so, can I do that in the machine I'm putting it in. Is there a problem with OS's on two different HDs in the same machine?

To clarify. I'm giving this machine to a 78 year old newbie I have given about 4 lessons to.

I know when I hook it up at his place he's going to put his mouse where it doesn't belong, so...I want to ghost the Master with the slave so I can save time.

Haven't "Ghosted" before, but want to give it a try.

You won't have a problem with 2 OSes on other drives in the same computer as long as you set up the jumpers properly and keep the Master drive the same. Once you boot into windows you can format the other drive by right clicking on it, just like you would to format a floppy disk.

If you are going to format the drive in Windows, then you will probably need Windows XP or Windows 2000.

Many new drives come unpartitioned, and Windows 95/98/Me are unable to format a drive without a partition. If you are using these older versions of Windows, then you will probably have to us FDISK from the Windows boot disk to partition the new drive first... Then you can format it.

If you are using Windows XP or 2000, then you can format it without any problems I believe.

The second HD is from another computer that already has Win98 on it. And the one I'm putting it into has Win98.

Will that work OK?

Is this a computer that you already have that has an OS currently installed? Because if its a brand new harddrive then Rick is right saying you will need to create a partition on it because it will come unpartitioned.
If the computer you are giving to him already works, then yes you can just switch the jumpers around, boot up, and format the drive through windows.

Originally posted by thewolfe
The second HD is from another computer that already has Win98 on it. And the one I'm putting it into has Win98.

Will that work OK?

Yes, that should do nicely :)

SN> It allready has W98 on it...

Yes, both the orig and the "slave" to be, have Win98.

Slave to be sounds like a guy getting ready to get married.

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
SN> It allready has W98 on it...
Yeh, my first response was correct then. But when Rick posted his latest response it seemed like he was thinking the Master HD was brand new. So thats why I did that. (Guess I should have just kept quiet :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back