hook up HTIB to comp??

Status
Not open for further replies.

somekid007

i dont know if this is the right spot to post, but today i visited a friend's house and he had a 2-way shelf stereo system hooked up to his computer and i tell you, the sound was AMAZING. so i got inspired and am thinking about buying a HTIB to hook up to my computer. i came across the Curtis DVD5045 Home-Theatre-In-A-Box, at $189.99 CDN and its says it is capable of doing THX Select and THX Ultra. my budget is around $200, if i decide to do it and i just need to know how to do it. i have a Sapphire-ATI Radeon 9600 Pro and im using onboard sound of my Abit IS-7 mobo. is it possible?

i need a new sound card??

i have integrated 5.1 audio on my mobo and 1 s/p dif out and 1 s/p dif in. so do i really need a new sound card. im 14 so i dont have the money for both. also, its it better to get a shelf with 2 big speakers with built in subs or one with 5 small sattelites and a sub??. also how does the altec lansing 5100 compare to those htibs??

I mean for optimum sound quality a soundcard will be handy generally speaking (unless you are using Soundstorm onboard audio). There are many soundcard in the market to suit your budget and needs, its not like in the old days where there is a lack of variety of sound cards. Try to surf around for prices.

Originally posted by somekid007

also, its it better to get a shelf with 2 big speakers with built in subs or one with 5 small sattelites and a sub??

As to your question whether to get book shelf speakers or 5 small sattelites and a sub, it all boils down to your needs. However quality of sound may vary from brands as sound is very subjective. It would be foolish to say that 2 bookshelf speakers is better than a 5.1 and vice versa.

also how does the altec lansing 5100 compare to those htibs??

Can you be more specific, please?

im considering either the Curtis DVD5045 HTIB, the Panasonic SCAK110S Shelf System, or the Altec Lansing AL5100CN 5.1 Speakers. They all go for about $200CAD. Im not sure about the placement of the rear speakers in a 5.1 environment, do they go behind you, or behind the screen (monitor)? If they go behind you, then i dont think it is good for me to have a 5.1 system as i have nowhere to place the rear speakers behind me. As for the HTIB, it has a dvd player, will it be worth it for me to hook it up to my comp? or should i just get a DVD-ROM drive? I can get an Audigy2 OEM soundcard for $98CAD. So if i want a good soundcard i wont be able to hook it up to a stereo for a little while longer.

For the speaker placement, this might help.
https://www.techspot.com/tweaks/soundcard/sound3.shtml

I can't tell you which speaker is good. As i have said earlier, sound is pretty subjective. It would be best for you to head down to a local store and audition this speakers with your favourite CDs. Generally, the salesperson wouldn't mind you doing this.

As for the DVD player...you better off getter a PC DVD-drive. Usually a stand alone DVD player is more expensive.

Great!

ill go to a local electronics store (FutureShop) on the weekend. i know a sales guy there since we bought (almost) eveything from him. wish me luck!

Curtis DVD5045 it is!

best $200 ive ever spent, movies sound more realistic and games sound more imersive. thumbing bass of the subwoofer in the corner shakes my walls!!! my parents arent too happy about it tho =)

Re: Curtis DVD5045 it is!

Originally posted by somekid007
best $200 ive ever spent, movies sound more realistic and games sound more imersive. thumbing bass of the subwoofer in the corner shakes my walls!!! my parents arent too happy about it tho =)

Great to hear that! Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back