Hosting Internet Games through a Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinone

Hi, i have an Inventel orange Livebox router and becasue of the static IP address i can't host any games on the internet, only LAN games are avaliable.
Is there anyway for me to be able to host internet games?

becasue of the static IP address i can't host any games on the internet
No, this shouldn't be the reason. The reason is you need to forward the appropriate port(s) on your router to your computer's local IP address. This might not make much sense to you, but let me explain a little better. Also, judging by the name it sounds like you have an x-box, but I'll use refer to it as 'computer' since the same applies.

Aside from an IP address, your game also has a 'port' on which others establish a connection. There's also two IP addresses - One is your public IP (How people find you on the Internet) and the second is your local IP (The IP address by which your router identifies your computer on your local network).

When someone tries to connect to your game through your Internet IP, your computer never sees that data. It stops at your router and your router hasn't an a clue what to do with the request, so it discards it. Your router should have a port forwarding feature though, which explains to your router how to redirect certain traffic. Once your forward the correct port to your computer's local IP address, your router gets data sent to that port from someone trying to connect to your game, then sends that data to your computer, allowing your computer to establish a connection with people on the Internet.

What you need to know is your local IP address and the port used when hosting a game (varies from based on game). If you are unsure about the port, a quick google search for your 'game's name' and 'port' reveals all. :) If you're using an X-box, it is probably the same port # for all games.

For more information about port forwarding, you should check out your router's manual. There may be additional ways to do this too, such as enabling DMZ host for your local IP address or enabling UPnP (Attempts to automatically forward ports as needed) etc.. But these are all things your manual should discuss.

Is it possible you have a software firewall, such as the one that comes with Windows XP, enabled? Other popular firewalls include Zone Alarm, BlackIce, Symantec/Norton Internet Security, McAfee.... etc... Disable any of these programs you may have (temporarily) and see if the problem goes away.

The Windows firewall should be disabled in favor of your router's firewall. You can check to see if it is on or off by going to Start > Run > firewall.cpl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back