Hosts block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seder

After being requested to use Spybot Search and Destroy from this forum... My Host file is currently under "block". Basically, i can't change them which is what i need to do currently. How do i set them not on block anymore?

-- There is also a very huge list which was added by Spybot Search and Destroy which i would like to remove but the block is put up. I don't understand why there is a block on my hosts file, i never requested for it to do that...

Hum.. So there is absolutely no chance that you were silly enough to go to Tools->IE Tweaks and tick the "lock HOSTS file" setting?

Also, are you sure that it is Spybot S&D that has locked the hosts file and not any other "user friendly" security program (ZoneAlarm)?

go to the file, select Properties and make sure it is not READ ONLY :)

Nope Nodsu, and the thing is... Spybot S&D added all of these extra hosts things that were "protection" towards hundreds and hundreds of sites.

Well basically, my brother fixed it and he had to do a couple of things... Unchecking readme, taking away backups and deleting some file in a random directory before it would stop copying its text into my hosts file.

I'm guessing that SpyBot S&D tried to backup my hosts but error'd in some way or I didn't close it appropriately making the backups still there and trying to re-write the hosts file. Just my guess... Each of the files he had to delete were named hosts.back.

-- Anyway, problem fixed and thank you for input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back