Hot cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put together a pc, and I went into the bios and it says my cpu is running at 70ºC which is like 170ºF. Is that to hot for cpu to be running? (P4 3GHz)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

That does seem on the warm side to me.

Make sure that the heatsink is properly attached, and the cpu fan is spinning properly. You did use thermal paste didn`t you?

If it were me I`d remove the heatsink, and clean off all the old thermal pad/paste. Then apply some new thermal paste to the cpu die, and reattach the heatsink.

You only need to use a very small amount of thermal paste.

See HERE for instructions on how to apply thermal paste.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Whoa that is way too hot. I tend to tell people never go above 60c. Make sure you some thermal paste as suggested. You don't want to keep your cpu temps that high unless you want to fry some eggs :grinthumb

Yea I'd keep that computer off until you have re-applied thermal paste. 70 C is definitely too hot for your processor. I have an AMD 3200+, which should run around 45 C. I should say, I had a 3200+. It got fried. I think it was my bad motherboard that fried out the CPU. So now here I am, 9 days over the warranty-time from Newegg, requesting RMAs. Arctic Silver 5 is great thermal paste, but if you keep having problems, you should definitely invest in a good fan ( not that the stock fans are bad ). Or you can get this CHEAP case . Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back