Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

triiifashions

my ge force 6800 is a hottie!

even with the cover off and a fan blowing in it reaches threshold temp of 135c

gonna add a couple more case fans and may be i will be able to put the cover back on??

any advice??

do i need a new case??

Holy ****, you need to take off the heatsink, and take that stock thermal compound stuff off, and put on some arctic silver 5. If you cant afford 5$, take the heatsink off, and reseat it, pressing down pretty hard.

Yes, there are plastic pins, or metal screws on the bottom of the card. Remove them, and reseat the heatsink.

lmfao

just wanted to come back to say thanks i found my prob

i got my "surgery" table ready and took the shield off and !low and behold! GRIME there was a thick layer of fuzz blocking the fins causing the nonairflowage!!!

thanks for the tip though got me lookin in the right place

so i think it is all the pot smoke by the computer causing the exsessive buildup

lmfao

hey i gotta question..does removing the heat sinks at the bottom of the card really belp? i thought it suppose to help cool the card >_< i'm just curious cuz it helped him out...maybe i can take mine out :D and get lower temps! well not that i have a problem with my current temps :p

triiifashions said:
my ge force 6800 is a hottie!

even with the cover off and a fan blowing in it reaches threshold temp of 135c

gonna add a couple more case fans and may be i will be able to put the cover back on??

any advice??

do i need a new case??

Wouldn't 135C (293F) melt the chipset in the card completely? I mean that's way past the boiling point :confused:

cfitzarl said:
Wouldn't 135C (293F) melt the chipset in the card completely? I mean that's way past the boiling point
Confused about that one too, but I'm guessing that either 1) the temperature sensor on the card is isn't very precise or 2) that the temperature he posted was really fahrenheit and not celsius (135F = 57.2C).

EDIT: or 3) You're reading the temperatures wrong because of the mj.

135C is around the threshold temp (145C) for a 6800 series GPU. Generally, GPUs can take a lot more heat than CPUs. Threshold temp for a CPU would be around 70-80C.

cfitzarl said:
Wouldn't 135C (293F) melt the chipset in the card completely? I mean that's way past the boiling point :confused:
No. The temperature is at the GPU core, it can handle it.

Besides, it's not like there are components made of water on the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back