How: Avoid Pop Up

azukre

Maybe we need a guide to show us how to avoid pop up?

The pop up gets so annoying, and forced me not to visit TECHSPOT.

popups don't bother me on sites I visit frequently because they support the site. The ones that I hate are the ones at commercial sites or pay sites. It seems that they could afford to get rid of them at places where the site itself generates income either through the sale of products and services, or access to the site itself.

Yes, popups can be very annoying, but unfortunately they help keep sites going. Just think if everyone turned off popups that visited TechSpot then you wouldn't have to worry about them anymore because there won't be a TechSpot. It's not like they just keep coming back, it is only 1 popup per day if you go straight to the forums. That is reasonable enough IMO.

Like I have stated before, we run pops for a reason and we must continue doing so if we want to keep TS alive and kicking. You have my promise, if sometime sooner we finally get some good advertisers again we will put pops down.

Anyway, it's too bad there's still people thinking they are getting ripped because of pops. Pretty much like you I visit dozens of sites daily and I can tell you, I have never stopped visiting a site because of pops.

Of course, those few sites getting my hits are usually sites I really like and enjoy visiting and I feel they give me a lot for nothing so my overall level of satisfaction is well worth one or two pops unless they are too annoying.
Have you seen some other of those mainstream sites using Interstitials or those scrolling ads that stay on top? Now, I would say those are REALLY annoying because they do not let you browse through a page as you normally would.

Now here's a question for you guys... I have been thinking of removing pops from TechSpot's frontpage, only pops on sections and articles, that would be a way of promoting our frontpage to more people to bookmark it and make it its homepage, what do you think?

Usually I only get 1-2 pop-ups on this site and that's pretty much fine... I mean, I have to endure adverts on the TV.... its not the way it would be in a perfect world but its not a perfect world that we live in. Some of my other favourate internet sites have a couple of pop-ups too. But more than 2 is starting to get a bit mental and annoying....

This is how I avoid popups:

mozilla_prefs.png

I use Mozilla :p

Julio that is a tough decision. For one you get a few more sponsors by having those popups, but on the other hand yes, you probably do lose a few peopl here and there due to them. I would say if you can get away with it on the mainpage, and not increase on the forums that would be fine.

But once again it is totally up to you as this is your site.

Totally of topic

Azukre is it really you?

You have my and 3DS, err Techspot's most dear welcome!

Welcome back friend ;)

Back