How Can I Change the way My Network Is seen on my Computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickc

I redid my network because one computer could not see it, not that I set anything different from usual but now on all three computers the network is seen as being over the internet at least that is how it is labled in my network places is there a way to change this?

it is set up through a router, I do use windows firewall, and windows defender to help protect myself, although I know they are poor. I used network setup wisard to set the network up.

You just press the "Print Screen" button on the top right of your keyboard then just paste into paint and save. VOLA!!!

now I am haveing trouble getting a zip with the image to attach because it is too big and because the image is made in paint it will not upload to an uploader.

clickable

crop image cannot read anything from what you uploaded
more info like router
internal static ip or dynamic address's

the router is a netgear model RP614 v2, it is an old router but has all the updates until netgear quit making updates for this model. I use a static ip on the computers and have since i starting network and have never had this to happen before.

from the PC that you're having problems with go into a dos prompt and type:

arp -a

this should show you the computer IP
and default gateway

nbtstat - n

this should display if the current system is registered on your network (workgroup)

tipstir, I know all computers in the house IP address, as I said I have static IP for years, and I have checked in the router and all are reconized and functioning the only problem is the way My Network Places shows that it is over the internet instead of over the network.

can you put a larger image on www.putfile.com instead of what you are using so we can see what you mean.

Static IP is okay but did you make sure you're not use the lower range for static IP where the router would assign DHCP. So you're using higher range for static IP right. And you're using VISTA. Do you have UPnP enabled on the router.

Does Network Connections show the Internet Connection Icon?
Does My Network Places show your Router Icon these features are also available in XP just not enabled as well more standard in Vista.

I don't think u have a problem, and i think that is not Vista, am sure u can correct me on that.
Anyway what effect does it have? coz the reason to why u have that is becoz u yo connection going thru a Router and not a switch.
So Relax buddy that is not a problem.

Cheers
Robin

robin, I never said it was Vista, It is a program that makes XP look like Vista. and I never said the way my network places looks is a problem with it working altho if the router actually thinks it is letting things from the internet into my network, it may be. also if u will check a router is better than a switch.

Get a screen shot of 'Network Connections'

likely you have a Local Network as well as The Internet

looks like you're showing the 127.0.0.1 as the Bios#1 -- strange.

that is what I am talking about, that is my Local Network.

that bios was an old number I was trying to role another computer back to. that was the bios the MB had when I bought it.

me confused
me thuinks should start from scratch
before you do this go to router if on line get status need the 2 dns ip numbers
you can call provider they will give you if not here
set router to
disable dhcp
default gateway should be 192.168.0.1 or 1.1 Last 2 numbers
all nics should be static

start with a number like 5 at the end
mask 255.255.255.0

set DNS to above from router status
if not use 4.2.2.2 a little slower but it will get you to the internet
should look like

DNS
don't use 127.0.0.1 you will have problems ,at least I do I have other services using that number

nickc said:
that is what I am talking about, that is my Local Network.

that bios was an old number I was trying to role another computer back to. that was the bios the MB had when I bought it.

which router are you using?
how is the local network setup?
Are you using any static IP or just DHCP?
Can you scan your network using IP scanner to see all if any of the PCs are the network are showing up?
Then you an figure out what's causing the problem.
Take apart the network by each layer.

Thanks for the image it does help and you're doing what I did prior mask the OS with Visita but I didn't like how it work so it got canned...

Samstoned said:
don't use 127.0.0.1 you will have problems ,at least I do I have other services using that number
yes, 127.0.0.1 would never work. The default gateway SHOULD work as a
request to port 53 would be forwarded uplink thru the WAN port to the ISP.

ok I am getting asked i don't think people are seeing what i have so here goes, i am using a netgear router, the static IPs are 192.168.0.22, 192.168.0.24, 192.168.0.25. now maybe yall can get back on track.

did you setup as workgroup or domain
try deleting the icons and make new workgroup
maybe thats whats up default for domain not configured is 127.0.0.1

I must be missing something here, I do not know what u are talking about "default domain" everything is set up as it has been for all the years i have had a network and i am not saying u are wrong i just don't follow what u are saying.

on and Sam it is a workgroup and not a domain.

when you have software that setups a server http or ftp DNS requests
default is 127.0.0.1
when you highlight the internet connection icons
panel on left show what??
maybe its the router (to go over again some point )
it should have latest firmware install reset
delete all instances of nic in reg remove nic uninstall all drivers delete all shortcut icons
have only 1 station connected at a time
if you installed software for router uninstall
you do not need this software to setup a connection
dsl or cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back