How can I replace my proprietary digital camera software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimflint1

I just bought an Olympus d-580 camera, which comes with Camedia software that enables you to download pics from the camera to the pc. I haven't even bothered to install the software yet, because my daughter has an Olympus that came wit the same software and it's really junk. Any suggestions for a cheap solution to getting my pics onto the pc without using the Olympus software?

Provided you have the camera drivers installed, you should be able to uninstall the Olympus software from add remove programmes.

Then, when you connect the camera, it should appear as a disk drive in my computer. You can then open the drive and drag the photo`s into whatever folder you like.

If you need some good free photo editing software. Irfanview is pretty good.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Regards Howard :)

Even easier, get a card-reader for your camera's memory-card.
Things like a 7-type external USB card-reader only cost like $12-20.
Added advantage: you don't drain the camera's battery.
You just use Windows Explorer to copy the pictures.

howard_hopkinso said:
If you need some good free photo editing software. Irfanview is pretty good.

Thanks, Howard. I already have discovered Irfanview. I used it when I had my old Pentax 35mm photos put on cd, and you're right, it works well.

Shane

RealBlackStuff said:
Even easier, get a card-reader for your camera's memory-card.
Things like a 7-type external USB card-reader only cost like $12-20.
Added advantage: you don't drain the camera's battery.
You just use Windows Explorer to copy the pictures.

Thanks for the great idea. Is that what I'd call it in google to look up prices (or in resellerratings.com or elsewhere)? A "7-type external USB card-reader"?

Sjame

They are called Card Readers

Shane said:
Thanks for the great idea. Is that what I'd call it in google to look up prices (or in resellerratings.com or elsewhere)? A "7-type external USB card-reader"?
For some examples, go to a site like Newegg.com and search for Card Readers. That will get you started.

Finally something i know a little about!! I agree with all the above. My camera uses a Compact Flash card. I have a card reader that attaches to a USB slot. My computer treats the reader as another drive, and has assigned a letter to it. After I put the flash card in the reader, all I have to do is open explorer, click on the reader drive letter and cut the pictures from there to a folder I have set up in My Documents called pictures. I use the free photo program from Google called Picasa2, which I like alot. It automatically "sees" the pictures and loads them into the program.

Sorry to get so wordy. You can find Card Readers on sale at all the chain stores. I have seen them recently for as little as free after rebate.

Good Luck.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back