How can I reset my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this HP Pavilion ze2000 this last March at a Military PX, but they only had this one and it was a demo. I guess everything is on it and alot of stuff I don't need. I am relatively new to computers and I get my email and I can surf the net, but the problem is this thing is running slower and slower, I have read a bunch of articles at different tech sites, but I don't understand them. I just want my machine to be like it was when it was new. I have done the system restore but it only goes back to June. I can't afford to take it somewhere, I wouldn't even know what they were doing to it, and I don't want to let just anybody into my personal stuff. Is there any way that I could just take everything off and start over? Thanks a bunch. sandrathered52

You could reset everything on it by reinstalling Windows, but seeing as you bought at a military surplus sort of thing, I doubt they gave you a disk to do this. You would need to go buy a copy of Windows XP and just put it in the computer and tell it to wipe the disk and reset everything.

As mentioned above, if you have a restore disc, that's the way to do it. It will completely reinstall Windows and your software - deleting everything that is currently on it. You might want to backup your files first, before you do this.

You don't need to buy a copy of XP. Contact HP about getting replacement restore discs for your computer. They just need to the serial number of the unit. You can also 'borrow' another restore disc for a simliar model from a friend or neighbor and use it, as long as you use your own product key (Holographic sticker located on the rear section of the unit, usually)

Hi, i am relatively new when it comes to computers but i do understand the basics. Before u do a full system restore have u tried the basics,
Scandisk
Defragment
Diskclean Up
I share my pc with the family and its nrly always online, clearing the temperory internet files helps loads, i defrag it once a week and also run scan disk

pcjunkie said:
Hi, i am relatively new when it comes to computers but i do understand the basics. Before u do a full system restore have u tried the basics,
Scandisk
Defragment
Diskclean Up
I share my pc with the family and its nrly always online, clearing the temperory internet files helps loads, i defrag it once a week and also run scan disk
or a relatively simple to follow guide of the above.. :)

Tutorial: How to speed up your pc for free

I have the OS CD that came with my notebook, it is Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. Do I just put it in and it will wipe everything out and how do I Back Up whatever it is that the people are telling me to back up? I wasn't kidding when I said I was a newbie, I really am. Please explain in simple laymans language. sandrathered52

Does it have a cd burner on it? If so, do you know how to use it? If so, you will want to burn anything you'd like to save to a cd, then you can use the cd on the machine after you've reloaded it.

Rick said:
As mentioned above, if you have a restore disc, that's the way to do it. It will completely reinstall Windows and your software - deleting everything that is currently on it. You might want to backup your files first, before you do this.

You don't need to buy a copy of XP. Contact HP about getting replacement restore discs for your computer. They just need to the serial number of the unit. You can also 'borrow' another restore disc for a simliar model from a friend or neighbor and use it, as long as you use your own product key (Holographic sticker located on the rear section of the unit, usually)

Rick,
if sandrathered52 gets the HP restore discs for his model computer, he's going to end up with all the crap he doesn't want. Of course their is a possibility that he will only get an OS restore and not all the apps too. The motherboard drivers and other utilities can be downloaded from HP's website

sandrathered52 said:
I have the OS CD that came with my notebook, it is Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. Do I just put it in and it will wipe everything out and how do I Back Up whatever it is that the people are telling me to back up? I wasn't kidding when I said I was a newbie, I really am. Please explain in simple laymans language. sandrathered52

Yes. Putting those disks in will restore your computer to how it was the first time you turned it on.

Backup your stuff first. Find what you need and put it all in its own folder, then put in a blank cd, and drag that folder to the cd. If its a lot of stuff or movies it will take multiple cds to fit. Once its there on the left side of the window (of the cd directory) there is a "write these files to cd" thing you can click.

to expand on the term "backup your stuff" as most people says it, is to save all your personal files/office documents/pictures/movies/emails/etc and anything else thats important to you to another location eg a DVD/CD or another HDD.

Usual places that someone would be storing their "stuff" on (and not limited to) would be:
My documents folder
Desktop
Download folder (if any)
other folders you've created
if you use a program that save specific items eg a email client like outlook 2003 - export your folders or use its backup feature etc.

Once noted where your stuff are, you can proceed backing them up using the copy>paste between folders/places (if you're using a hdd or another medium that supports this) or using a backup software, or if you're using CD/DVD however you'd normaly create one (eg: nero, roxio, sonic, windows etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back