How can I turn off the autoplay option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm studying in a university and there's a free, 24/7 open, public computer lab in it, so as there is internet. As this is the situation, I didn't bother subscribing forthe internet to my home. But I just can't stop the virus infections that my flash drive gets and spreads to my pc at home (I use the flashdisk for saving my files from internet). After a few infections that I managed to get rid of, I realized that the virus gets in because of the autoplay option! So if anyone can tell me how to close it, so that I'll apply it on the pc that I work with in the lab.

Thanks in advance...

You can try this; just be sure that whoever owns the computers doesn't care.

Go start-->run, type in regedit. Press Enter.

Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CdRom

Select the CdRom key.

Double-click on the Autorun value.

Change the value from 1 to 0.

Just be sure the university doesn't mind.

Regards :)

HKLM-System-CurrentControlSet-Services-CDROM-AutoRun : set this value to 0

OR, just press the SHIFT key while you insert the USB connector and hold it until the drive light blinks and goes off.

:)

Well, got beat to the punch BUT the shift key is a better option.

No the university minded the reg. thing in the beginning and so the admins put a software that acts like the lsass virus (blocks the access to the taskman, run, search and some other things) and secondly to protect that software they installed norton goback! So I'll take my chance on the shift key... I knew it but just thought that it's only for cds. Thanks anyway... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back