How could my computer/mains supply have killed my New PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatty

Hello all,

I'm venturing into the world of tech forums to get your help on a bizarre happening. It's a bit of a long story, so please bear with me.

THURS 31ST NOV: My computer is on, downloading. I'm not in the room. My dad turns on a light which fuses and so the circuit breaker breaks the light circuit. My dad goes to flip the circuit back on and gets the wrong switch: turns off the socket circuit and my computer with it.

FRI 1 DEC: My computer won't turn on. I assume it is to do with the power cutting. The PSU smells, kind of like iodine. I use some wire to jumper the power on (green to black) and sure enough the PSU is dead.

SUN 3 DEC: I order a new PSU. A hiper type-M 530W. This is more than adequate for my power needs, my CPU is old, I don't have any PCIe cards and no graphics card.

TUES 4th DEC: I connect the new PSU. Works beautifully.

WED 5th DEC: I turn on the computer and immediately hear a high squeak followed by an exciting explosion (sparks visible through the edges of my case which I haven't screwed up yet). The same test that I performed on the old PSU confims that now my lovely new PSU is dead.
So if anyone can suggest how either my computer or mains supply could be killing off these Units I would be grateful. I wil have to return the new Unit and hope they will replace it but I don't want the same thing to happen all over again.

hatty said:
Hello all,.

Hi

Faulty Mains wiring in the socket your plugged into, get an electrician in.

Faulty wiring in the house, get an electrician in

Or, and here I venture out on a limb, you may have just been darned unlucky and bought a faulty PSU.

I would go with the latter as its highly unlikely that your house is badly wired enough to cause a surge capable of blowing a PSU to bits.

Regards

thanks Idid...

PSU is being returned on monday. I've not noticed any other electrical devices in the house exploding so, yeah, I can only assume that this double murder mystery is a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back