How do I check my GPU's clock speed, and what is the best way to over/underclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhrenBa

Hey guys,

I have an Nvidia 7600gt, which has been freezing quite often in games.

I was going to try to underclock the GPU (since it came factory overclocked), to see if that helped any.

What is the most accurate way to check the GPU's clock speed? Also, if I need to overclock/underclock the card, what is the best way to do this?

Through the published specifications for the device, and the clocking specifications of the board. You should find the guidance you need at the manufacturer's web site... as well as the manual on disc that came with the 7600gt.
You will be disappointed to learn that your problem usually cannot be fixed by underclocking to "normal."
You have a problem elsewhere in your system... either a driver, memory that is of inadequate speed, heat issues, motherboard glitches, BIOS, and so on.

raybay said:
Through the published specifications for the device, and the clocking specifications of the board. You should find the guidance you need at the manufacturer's web site... as well as the manual on disc that came with the 7600gt.
You will be disappointed to learn that your problem usually cannot be fixed by underclocking to "normal."
You have a problem elsewhere in your system... either a driver, memory that is of inadequate speed, heat issues, motherboard glitches, BIOS, and so on.

Thanks. Is there a way to update the BIOS on a GPU?

raybay said:
Sure, if you know to code eeprom chips and have the equipment to access the chip.

Lol, so I assume driver-based overclocking is the way to go? I am thinking about using Riva, is that the most popular tool?

Is there a way to check my Clock speeds in another program besides Riva, just to make sure it is being set correctly?

Hi i use a regedit file that came on my driver disk called ntweak once you click on it, it shows your clock settings in advanced display settings under your card tab and gives you an option to do manual over clock or automatic
hope that helps

there's another program out there called AtiTool, it works for nvidia cards as well, and you can test your fps :D

it has sliders for the cpu and ram clocks but overclocking isn't really recommended unless you've done all your homework to an A+ grade

check you have the latest drivers for your card (158.24 should be the latest nvidia ones)

also it wouldn't hurt double checking that you have direct x 9.0c, click start > run > and type in "dxdiag", it tells you on the first screen that comes up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back