How do I get Windows 98 harddrive (3rd one) shows up under Windows XP's My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the outlines:
- 2 Harddrives : 2 partition each harddrive : (winxp/storage) each.
- Dual Booting ... Windows XP and Game Room (windows xp).
- Since I know 3rd harddrive/windows 98 is messed up and not very good booting it up itself.
- 3rd harddrive installed and its Windows 98.
- BIOS checked and found.
- Just added "{multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98" /fastdetect" at Startup & Recovery Setting's Edit.
- Got all 3s ... Windows XP, Game Room & Windows 98
- Clicked Windows XP boot mode
- Since I know that Windows 98 is FAT32 while Windows XP is NTFS
- Under My computer showing 4 disks

Here is the question:
- How do I get Windows 98 harddrive (3rd one) shows up under Windows XP's My Computer
- Under Computer Management's Disk Management only show 4 ... not 5
- Since I checked the BIOS it DID found 3rd harddrive (5th one)

The reason I am doing this:
- To backup neccessary files suchs as email, doc, xls, etc from Crashed Windows 98 harddrive to Windows XP harddrive
- Then I will kill the windows 98 after I backed everything I need.

Appreciated for your help.
Sneaker

Take that W98 line out again at Startup & Recovery Setting's Edit. It will never work anyway, because W98 must be in the first partition of the first HD on the first controller in that PC, PLUS, it must have been installed BEFORE XP. So forget that.

On your first controller (IDE0), you have those 2 XP-disks.
Set the jumpers on the W98-disk to Master, then install it at the second controller (IDE1) as master. It probably needs the older 40-wire flat IDE-cable, rather than the newer 80-wire cable.
At bootup, go into BIOS and set the master on secondary controller to 'automatic' so it recognizes the W98-HD. That should do it.
Copy your stuff over, then take that disk out again.

I got your msg

Thanks and I will see to it when I wake up ... I will reply if it works great or not.

- Sneaker

-Every day is a learning day,
If you dont learn one thing today,
Then its not a good day.
- Sneaker

It works but bad news

Since it works then switched back to old computer case and realize that I need to uninstall the video card to regonize its old computer's video card which I did with the new computer case then back to the old computer case. Then boot it up and said safe mode etc etc etc so I tried all and safe mode seems works but not finished because stuck at this line /windows/system32/DRIVERS/agp440.sys during safe mode loading.
CD-ROM is being a retard that it is not reading or starting up the Windows XP cd, so I can do it all over again.

This computer that I am working on :
- Athlon 700
- 64MB ram + 256MB ram upgraded
- 30GB harddrive
- 8MB Nvidia video card (before & after test/stuck) upgraded to 128MB Nvidia video card
- CD-ROM is set 1st boot up (even before and after switch IDE cables)
- Floppy is set 2nd boot up
- IDE is set 3rd boot up
- nevermind/ignore the rest such as sound card, network, etc specifications

Question is ... why & how do I solve is this "stuck at this line /windows/system32/DRIVERS/agp440.sys during safe mode loading"
or
how can I FORCE the computer to read the Windows XP and START installing.
(duh, i cheated the computer by using command line ... it reads cdrom but does not install on DOS, duh) :)

I really appreciated to get this old computer off my head & ready to go.

Thanks for the time to solving this issue.

- Sneaker

You have to use shorter sentences and tell a LOT more exactly what harddisk you are trying to get working in which machine.
Did you get the data off the W98 disk while it was in the XP-machine?
And are you now trying to get the old one running again with the original W98 disk?
Does not W98 have an option on its menu to start in VGA-mode?

agp440.sys stucks

I just replace the video card & [old-gone-win98-to-new-winXP] harddrive from the old computer to new computer and finally video driver found.

Switch back those back to old computer case and showing the safe mode options screen. Clicked the safe mode.

Look. It stopped loading at agp440.sys. (same video card and in the old computer)
http://www.meltdowndigital.com/screenshots/agp440.gif

Trust me it works on new computer with the same video card and regonized.

RBS gave you solid advice...
You do Not need to boot the Win98 HD to retrieve the data, you only need the XP OS to recognise it to copy/save your data..
Moving from one machine to the next will only complicate matters...
so re-read his instructions, place the drive in a working system and copy to your heart's content.

patio. :cool:

Contact me

on any instant msgr ... msn, aim, yahoo :digitalcrazychad ... icq 2611685

ignore anything regarding to backup/restore and win98 at all cost.

harddrive & windows xp is fine before place back to old computer case from new computer case ...

only 2 error things :
1) old computer case does not regonize the cd-rom (it is NOT bad or dead) and of course it is SET 1st boot, so I can reinstall windows xp on old computer case

2) since cd-rom did NOT boot up the windows xp cd FIRST, there is a safe mode screen options ... I took everything out except the harddrive and keyboard and ran into same error as halt at agp440.sys line, even 3 different video cards installed. Same result. I dont mind clean slate the harddrive as empty or no partitions at all but I do know that it wont detect the cd-rom to start the windows xp setup.exe to install new windows xp on this old computer.

Please contact me for instant response. If cant then let me know. thanks.

p.s. it is fresh windows xp installed and working on/from new computer ... its not windows 98 anymore. Crystal clean windows xp installed but just wont load completely or it just halted half way after place it back to old computer.
even I tried different cdrom to get cdrom to BOOT FIRST.

p.s.s. I am hard of hearing but I suck at grammers so forgive me.

Moving HD's from one machine to the other wether XP is running or not will cause probs as every machine has different hardware setups/requirements...
I still can't tell what you are trying to accomplish...

patio. :cool:

Thanks

yes I noticed that ... and now chatting with gateway.com's support about the 1st boot on CDROM isnt working right. So, thanks for all your help.

- Sneaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back