How do I know what version my USB Cables are...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniac_lonestar

I am hoping that you guys know how to check the USB version/speed in the computer once the cables are connected. It's a problem for me because I want the best quality when transferring data, and I own so man cables like 10 of them. I have different length cables, too, does that affect speed?

So my main question is how do I know if my USB cable is 2.0 or 1.1?
Thanks

if you have a USB 1.1, when you plug in a device like a flash drive windows will tell you is is slow and will run faster.

If you have a late model computer, rest assured, your USB ports are 2.0

Cable length really doesn't make a difference until you're more than 5 feet in length. At that point you want a POWERED usb hub.

if you go into windows control panel under device manager it will say enhanced USB for 2.0

Thanks good advice. This "slow and will run faster" would it say when you plug a 1.1. USB cable with a 2.0 device?

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

USB ports are backwards compatible. IF indeed you have a 2.0 device plugged into a 1.1 port it will run at 1.1 speed. You should get a pop-up in windows that will say this device can run faster or something to that effect.

If your motherboard was made in the last 4 years I am quite sure it is 2.0

Tedster said:
Cable length really doesn't make a difference until you're more than 5 feet in length. At that point you want a POWERED usb hub.

Don't wanna nit pick, but you sure you didn't meant 5m, and not 5ft? :)

A true USB 2.0 cable is supposed to say so in print along the length of the cable, according to the USB 2.0 specification. Also, note that the maximum length of a USB 2.0 cable is 20 feet without signal loss. If you need more than 20 feet distance between the device and the PC, you will then need a USB Repeater cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back