How do I know when to upgrade the PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I've been experiencing a lot of freezing with my computer after I've installed a new HD. For questions or want to see specifics on that, see here https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic52506.html.

But because of that problem, i've started to question my PSU as my computer seems to feel very hot inside. Right now I have a 350 WATT PSU and it runs quite a bit. My new HD seems to get very hot once it gets plugged in.

In my system I have a:
P4 2.6 / MSI Neo2 865PE Mobo (requires power connector)
ATI 9800 Pro (128) (requires power connector)
2 Gigs of Ram
3 HD's
- EDIE1 WD250 8MB cache 100mb/s (requires power connector)
- EIDE2 Samsung 120 8MB cache 100mb/s (requires power connector)
- SATA1 WD250 16MB cache 3.2g/s (requires power connector)
DVD-RW (requires power connector)
DVD-Drive (requires power connector)
Floppy (requires power connector)
3 Fans (requires power connector)
1 HD Cooling Case (Primary EIDE) (requires power connector)
Anything misc that requires power

In total I have 7 fans.
1 in the PSU
1 on the processor
1 on the chipset
3 on the case
1 on the HD cooler

Is this too much for my 350 watt PSU? Would this be causing the HD to get to hot and thus causing my freezing?

Thanks for any help!!!

Awesome forums!!

Wow.. that is sorta alot for a 350 watt psu to power... What brand is it... and nevertheless you must upgrade if your systems' total draw is more then your PSU's total output. Use this to calculate your total draw... if its more then 350 watts then upgrade... their not too expensive...

I just bought this one...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103464
I havent gotten it yet but i'll tell you how it goes.

Things to look for in a good PSU... "Name Brand" (Antec, PC Power&Cooling,Enermax...ect), & Volts on the 12v Rail. If you have or are planning to have a PCI-E card then this is vital.

seems like it may be pushing the PSU, but doesn't look like it is seriously overloading it.

The heat may be coming from something else. Reducing the temp will improve PSU performance too. See if you can do something about your case temp.

Using the ExtremePSU calculator I got 305Watts for your system. For a generic PSU at 350W this would be way too much. A generic runs at 60-70% efficient and the rated 350W is only peak power for a few minutes.

Buy a new PSU with 305/0.7= 435W. So a 450W PSU running at 70% of peak power (which is really running near 100% of continuous/normal power output) should be OK. Please note a P4 2.6GHZ Prescott for example uses 120Watts at 100% load (i.e. gaming or video editing).

Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
I went out and bought a 535WATT PSU that will support a Dual and as soon as I turned it on she purred. The temps went down, everything ran smooothly, no lagg or hangs.

Again, thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back