How do i make a Harddrive master?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazer07

My computer PSU recently blew taking the MOBO along with it so i got a new computer and i attempted to install the harddrive form my old computer as a master and the new computers harddrive as a slave but it failed. When i booted it it displayed the blue screen and said their might be a problem with a new harddrive that i installed so i had to slave the old one. Is their anyway i can make my old one the master and still have the new one as a slave? any help will be much appreciated (both drives are running win xp home if that helps)

The hard drives usually comes with direction, but basically there is a little plastic thin when you have to place in one of the pins where it conects to make it a master or slave. Basically you pull out the plastic peice and put it in the situation where it is consider the master and then your 2nd one to be consider the slave. I wish i had a picture to show you.

Step 1:
Decide which hard drive will be the startup (master) drive. If this drive was the startup drive previously, or if it's a new hard drive, then the master drive designation will already be set.

Step 2:
To change the designation of a new drive to be a slave drive, skip to step 4.

Step 3:
To change the designation of an existing drive to be a slave drive: Turn off the computer, unplug the power cord, remove the drive from its drive bay, and disconnect the drive from its power cord and ribbon cable.

Step 4:
Check the hard drive documentation or the label on the drive itself for master/slave jumper settings.

Step 5:
Find the jumpers on the circuit board of the drive. Jumpers are plastic plugs with metal sleeves that form a circuit between a pair of pins. Jumper locations are labeled on the board with a J followed by a number (such as J20).

Step 6:
Use tweezers or very small pliers to remove or reposition the jumpers to the configuration shown in the documentation or on the disk label.

I did some search and found a example

jumpers.gif

you probably want to check direction that came with hard drive or google the manufature to find direction if you already threw that away.

Problem is you can't take the OS drive from an XP machine and boot up a different machine with it. This problem seems to come up weekly around here and I'm a bit confused why so many people don't know that you can't do this.

In order for what you described to work you need to have extremely similar or the same hardware in both the machine the drive came from and the system you are putting the drive into.

You say both drives have XP home so just boot off the drive you had originally in the working machine and slave the other, that way you can get the data off of it, or just use it as a slave. Most of the programs you installed to it won't work though.

Yh Thanks For Your Help Everyone But Sngx1275 Was Right It Didnt Work Just Brought Up The Message Again

Once again nearly everything you said is BS.

You can't dual boot like you said at all for reasons I outlined in post #4 in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back