How do I repair explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedlam_4

The problem: Explorer, my windows browser will not find any web pages. I get 'the page cannot be displayed' page and in the address bar the address is 'c:WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/notfound/htmml'.

The cause: Unknown but I suspect a shared program was lost. I deleted a host of files and programs from C: that either would not uninstall or were unavailable to the add/remove progams application.

For sure this is not a connection problem. My modem is fine (Outlook expess as well as Help and Support both connect to the internet fine. So does this computer).

Rick's O.S. repair solution at the top of these threads looks promising but may be a bit extreme for a small problem. Is there another solution that will fix Explorer?

System restore did not help.

Which version of windows do you have? Which version of IE do you have? if you have updated it to IE6 have you tried going into add/remove programs and doing a repair on IE?
If you have Win 98 or ME have you tried to re-install DUN?

First thing I would try is insert your XP disk into the CD rom then open a command prompt at the command prompt type

sfc /scannow

this will check the windows protected files and replace or repair any that are missing or damgaed.

no you simply put the CD in the drive and open the command prompt. you can open it from the command prompt in start\programs\acessories\command prmpt or you can open it from the run command. simply go to the run dialogue and type cmd this will open the command prompt window.

You can simply type the command into the Run dialog, no need to open a command prompt. If you need to replace any files, you'll be asked for the CD once the scan is complete.

Yep, I have to agree with storm, it usually fixes the problem, but I have found in the past that sometimes it may say that you have not loaded the correct cd. I assume it means that it cannot read the info off the disc when required.

Hey great. Thanks.

Can I assume that any programs associated with with windows, ie: Media player, outlook express ect., can be loaded using sfc/scannow

Originally posted by bedlam_4
Hey great. Thanks.

Can I assume that any programs associated with with windows, ie: Media player, outlook express ect., can be loaded using sfc/scannow

no, it just checks to make sure that system files aren't corrupt or missing.

If I delete (uninstall) media player will sfc /scannow detect a problem and aloow me to reinstall the program from the O.S. cd?

you can reload media player thru the add/remove programs utility. use the add remove windows components feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back