how do i send a message to someone ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to techspot.

To answer your question, yes. skype, msn messenger, aim, yim... lol

Seriously though, there is a tool embedded in windows xp... net send. it's what produced those annoying pop-up messenger spam messages before sp2.

syntax.. net send <ip> <message>

Doesn't work though unless both machines have the messenger service running and are configured to allow the messages through firewalls.

well I WAS kinda joking about the IM programs. I'd never actually recomend IM programs to inexperienced netizens for obvious reasons. For the record though, I use MSN Messenger all the time. I've NOT ONCE caught a nasty from it. I've had a nasty offered to me twice, but I use common sense.

Also, I don't talk to random people - I talk only to those I know.

I never give out personal or sensitive info, and I remain firewalled - through both my routers NAT and a software firewall on my machine, etc, etc, etc...

Spike said:
well I WAS kinda joking about the IM programs. I'd never actually recomend IM programs to inexperienced netizens for obvious reasons. For the record though, I use MSN Messenger all the time. I've NOT ONCE caught a nasty from it. I've had a nasty offered to me twice, but I use common sense.

Also, I don't talk to random people - I talk only to those I know.

Good point, for IM progs to infect you , its normal practice to be asked if you want the infection(file transfer etc) and you gotta be crazy to say 'yes please,do your worst!'

so any infection is usually through user stupidity with IM progs

Actually, that's not entirely what I was saying. There's more to it than just infection - IM technology has a whole host of security issues (potential or real), plus potentially creates yet another set of attack vectors on a targe machine using the technology (ie, just another thing that can go wrong). Instant messaging is inherantly insecure. For more details on why it's inherantly insecure, you can use google, but if you can't be bothered, I've searched up the following link...

http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/protocols/1239.php

The above is a 2003 whitepaper, and some things may well have changed. I've only scanned it over briefly to find that it has relevant content, but don't know how up to date it is. It will however give you a brief overview of the insecurity of IM technologies.

Spike said:
Actually, that's not entirely what I was saying. There's more to it than just infection - IM technology has a whole host of security issues (potential or real), plus potentially creates yet another set of attack vectors on a targe machine using the technology (ie, just another thing that can go wrong). Instant messaging is inherantly insecure. For more details on why it's inherantly insecure, you can use google, but if you can't be bothered, I've searched up the following link...

http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/protocols/1239.php

The above is a 2003 whitepaper, and some things may well have changed. I've only scanned it over briefly to find that it has relevant content, but don't know how up to date it is. It will however give you a brief overview of the insecurity of IM technologies.

Interesting, good info. Think we should all read this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back