How do I stop Lycos SideSearch from installing itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryo

Reciently I've come upon a problem with Lycos SideSearch installing itself into IE6.0 without asking me. I'll just be surfing around minding my own busniess, I'll hit a new page when all of the sudden IE will lock up for about 30 seconds only to return with a SideSearch icon on the desktop and a new sidebar that pops up every time I use my google toolbar. I don't like this, I don't want this and personally I hate lycos, they're a sub-standard search engine to say the least. I read about this vulnerability in Lycos a while ago but I can't tell if this is whats happening or not. Its already installed itself at least a dozen times. Luckily it's easy enough to uninstall, just goto Add/Remove Programs and remove it, but when it is installed it's a pain in the neck if you have to do a lot of online searches like I do for my thesis. If anyone has ANY idea as to how to get rid of this thing I would appreciate it! Thanks guys.

it never comes out of

your windows explorer...........also side folders named "media" also contain sports stats software etc.........as well as the lycos folder.........run a registry cleaner to root it out, then wait till it happens again :rolleyes:

Maybe this is new (2004) but don't miss it: Lycos has a remedy to avoid this problem on their own home page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back