How do I transfer stuff from one hardrive to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohboy87

My computer was acticng crazy & would not start so I called DELL & they sent me a new hard drive.I basically want all of my old documents & stuff transferred from the old to the new.But I don't know how to do it.Can someone please help me! I have to send the old one back in soon!

Thanks!

Shavar!

I know there's plenty of ways to do this, but I would suggest that you place your old hard drive into your new computer. There should be a program out there that should copy the files from your old hard drive to your new one. If not, you can just copy paste your files.

Can you still boot from the old drive? If so, install your new drive as the slave (if the old drive is set to Master). If the old drive is set to Cable Select (CS), set the new one to the same. Are you familiar with that?

Then download, onto the old drive, a program called DiskWizard from this web site: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard/

Run DiskWizard, follow the prompts and it will copy everything from the old Hard Drive to the New One, including Windows XP, your programs and your data. Then remove the Old Drive, make the New Drive your master (or CS boot drive), boot up and you are back in business.

but how will I know if both hard drives are detected?

I don't know anything about slave or master lol!

Oh, I see. I was under the assumption you had some basic knowledge of how to install Hard Drives. In that case, I suggest you take it to a repair shop.

Did DELL send you a Hard Drive fully loaded with Windows XP and their standard programs?

For your information:
Drives are detected by the BIOS and they are usually detected automatically. You can get into the BIOS by pressing F1 or F2 or Del during the black screen during system boot. Check the documentation that came with the computer. However, if you do not know anything about the BIOS, don't go there.

Hard Drives (the ones connected with the flat gray cable) are set to Master or Slave, depending on where they plug into the gray cable. You can change the setting by moving the jumper on the back of the drive. A schematic of jumper settings should be on the Hard Drive. The Master goes on the end of the cable, the Slave goes in the middle plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back