How do I tripple boot with 2 harddisks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwin1978

I have two computers: one is win98/winXP dual boot and the other is a stand-alone win2000. I would like to take the harddrive from the win2000 PC and put it in my other PC to tripple boot. Is that possible? How do I set the winXP or win2000 boot loader.

My failed attempt:
I had the the win98/winXP harddrive as the master and win2000 as slave. I edited the winXP boot loader as so:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

I spent several hours last night trying to make it work only to fail and I had to reinstall win2000 because it would not load once I returned it back to it's original PC.

Do I need to reinstall win2000 since I'm connecting it to new hardware?

Originally posted by erwin1978
I have two computers: one is win98/winXP dual boot and the other is a stand-alone win2000. I would like to take the harddrive from the win2000 PC and put it in my other PC to tripple boot. Is that possible? How do I set the winXP or win2000 boot loader.

My failed attempt:
I had the the win98/winXP harddrive as the master and win2000 as slave. I edited the winXP boot loader as so:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

I spent several hours last night trying to make it work only to fail and I had to reinstall win2000 because it would not load once I returned it back to it's original PC.

Do I need to reinstall win2000 since I'm connecting it to new hardware?

If I have read your post correctly, your boot.ini should have read:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

you had the (1) in the wrong place .

But this would not have worked anyway because you should reintall the windows 2000 for it to work on another machine.

This will write the correct value into boot.ini anyway.

I give up. I did that, but it tells me it can't find the ntoskrnl.exe and other files. A reinstallation is probably the only way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back