How do you check cpu temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

intem

On one of the thread, this person had downloaded the two most common software to detect your temp (Everest and Speedfan). However, i've heard you can also use the PC Wizard to check your temperature as well. How do you do that? So apart from having to download software, is there another way of checking your cpu temperature straight from your pc wizard or something? BTW is temperature around 55.5 C - 56.5 C is alright temp as i checked in the bios setup. Is it too high or close to a high temp category.

Suggestions will be very much appreciated and thx in advance.

Speedfan is available in the downloads section of this site. Your temps are a little high. Get speedfan and check the temp while in windows and when stressing your system, when you are in the bios you processor isn't doing much.

thx there rik, i just one more question. If you feel uncomfortable using canned spray or compressed air, are you allowed to brush the metals (heat sink) lined in rows to clear away those dusts in between those metals? Also is it best to use artist brush or something, because of its softness or any brush will do, as long as you dont brush the circut board that is.

thx in advance.

You can use anything to clean as long as:
-you've let the heatsink cool down sufficiantly
-its not metalic to cause a short somewhere if touched on the circuit board
-being gentle and careful
-the power is turned off.

metalic brushes could be used (hek you could even dunk the whole thing in water) if all the batteries removed, power disconnected and capacitors discharged... although highly not recommeded..

I just use a cheap paint brush if the dust isn't too bad. Or as N351M says, i often strip the heat sink out and give it a good clean in warm soapy water. Just have to make sure its thoroughly dry before putting it back in. Incidentally, warm water with a fair ammount of washing up liquid in it is good at getting rid of heat transfer paste when one is wanting to apply new paste (heat sink only).

rik, last night i downloaded the speedfan (the latest version) and im just wondering if the settings were default when you first open up the program after you install it.
When i open the program up, the fan value is like this as follows:
Spee01:38%
Spee02:100%
Spee03:0%
Spee04:92%

As of above, are these the default settings when you first install it or the software configures by itself according to what your computer setting originally had or something.

BTW what does temp1 refer to? as well as temp2 and temp3. Does it mean cpu temp for temp1, mb temp for temp2 and power temp for temp3.

Values for my temp when my computer is at idle is,
Temp 1:40-43C
Temp 2:40-42C
Temp 3:100-105C

I'm not too sure about the fan speed settings if they come from the mobo or the program by default (i reckon motherboard read 1st) but i can answer the temperature question for you.

Comparing from two programs Everest Home and Speedfan:

Temp1 = motherboard (ambience?)
Temp2 = CPU
Temp3 = Aux
HD0 = primary HDD
HD1 = secondary etc..

Aux could be graphics card temp (i think) or maybe one of the mobo/chipsets temps i'm not too sure, since the driver for my vid card doesn't have a temp reader on it (and the current drivers are working fine, not moving to catalyst..) and i wont be able to confirm it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back