How do you contact your DHCP server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
kcplayboi_26 said:
Just need to know because thats what it says on my other computer that im trying to use the router with

If your PC is set to obtain an IP address automatically at boot up then it uses a DHCP broadcast system, this system sends a DHCP request via the network software through the network card and through the network cable out on to the network, if a DHCP server is available then it will reply and your PC will be given an IP address by the DHCP server,

DHCP servers can be a router, a PC running Internet Connection Sharing, or a PC running a DHCP client (such as on windows 2003 server).

If your PC cant find an DHCP server and you have it plugged into a DHCP server then either the cable is wrong or faulty, or the DHCP server is not seeing the PC.

Please post back saying what exactly you are trying to achieve.

Ok thanx, but im trying to connect my router to my other computer and on this one it is fine but the other one it says limited or no connectivity. So im trying to figure out whats wrong and im not computer smarts at all. I tried alot of different ethernet cords

kcplayboi_26 said:
Ok thanx, but im trying to connect my router to my other computer and on this one it is fine but the other one it says limited or no connectivity. So im trying to figure out whats wrong and im not computer smarts at all. I tried alot of different ethernet cords

The message "limited or no connectivity" will mean that the PC has probably got a fixed address and it knows this but it knows that it cant find a network,

Right click network places and choose properties then right click the network icon and choose properties, this will bring up a box with things like TCP/IP, client for microsoft network...double click TCP/IP and see if its set to obtain an IP address automatically, if not set it to it and reboot your PC, this should then allow you to obtain an IP address by DHCP.

Post back...

kcplayboi_26 said:
Where do I find Network Places? Sorry dude just not good at this

Its on the desktop, if your using XP and its not there then start > settings >control panel >network connections.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back