How does a geforce256 ddr compare with geforce 2mx ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does a geforce256 ddr compare with geforce 2mx ? I have heard some say that the ddr makes the '256' quicker than the geforce 2 mx but some others say that the geforce 2 mx's more advanced features make it faster. I now have the oppurtunity to swap my geforce 2 mx for a geforce 256 as a favour from a buddy. Is this worth doing? Thanks!

BTW
My pc has a pentium III 800 processor if it makes a difference...

Which card in the GeForce 2 MX series are you referring to? I would say that the GF2 MX400 is better as it is a DX7 card, and the GF256 DDR is only a DX6; things like this do make a lot of difference. The GF2 MX400 has also got higher clock speeds and significantly higher performance. I would recommend that you stick with your GF2 (if it is the MX200 or MX version, I'm not sure if either are better performing than the GF256), the sites I was looking through were PcStats, NVIDIA and FiringSquad. Do a little more research on this topic before you make your decision as I am not sure the information I have provided is solid (apart from NVIDIA's), Good Luck :grinthumb.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1453

The GeForce2 MX and the original GeForce would theoretically have the same fill rate if they were clocked at the same frequency since the GeForce had four rendering pipelines and could process one texture per pipeline (4 pipelines x 1 texture per clock = 4 texels per clock) and the GeForce2 MX has two rendering pipelines but can process two textures per pipeline (2 pipelines x 2 textures per clock = 4 textures per clock).

The GeForce2 MX supports 64-bit SDR/DDR SDRAM or 128-bit SDR SDRAM.

At 166MHz, with a 128-bit memory bus, the GeForce2 MX has about 2.7GB/s of available memory bandwidth.

To summarize this all, the GeForce2 MX has a 45% greater fill rate than the original GeForce SDR yet it has the exact same amount of memory bandwidth.

A Geforce DDR will have double the memory bandwidth of a Geforce2 MX. This does not mean it will have double the performance. However, it does mean that its performance will be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back