How does the motherboard ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onesmartidiot

im trying to use a case i bought a few years ago for my new core 2 duo system. it will work because it is atx, i was going to put a A64 in it but my uncle wanted me to get one that both sides would come off.

anyway

when i built my 2 other computers i used motherboard standoffs, i think they were brass.

this case seems to have pressed standoffs ( see pic below)

i know the standoffs keep the circuits on the board from touching the box, but im not sure if this setup works the same way, or if they will make too good of a ground to the box... maybe i should get paper spacers?

caseweird.jpg

casewierd2.jpg

They're fine - as long as they are in the right places - -where the screws go.

Boards don't need to be "earthed" or grounded, you can lay 'em on anything non conductive and fire them up - like a bit of cardboard etc.

I would recommend using stand-offs wherever the motherboard has holes for them.

I talked to a guy once who swore blind stand-offs weren't needed, and refused to accept that the Backplate won't line up without them.... last time I spoke to him his mobo had blown out, I wonder why(?)

Fragrant Coit said:
They're fine - as long as they are in the right places - -where the screws go.

Boards don't need to be "earthed" or grounded, you can lay 'em on anything non conductive and fire them up - like a bit of cardboard etc.

im not sure if i used the right terminology lol. with my box the way it is, will my board live to see another day mounted straight to it, or should i buy little circle cardboard pieces?

standoffs are out of the question, because then the board will sit too high and the rear i/o ports/ plate wont line up.....

Edit-
I just thought ground was the right word because there is shiney material around the circle the board screws go through (on the motherboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back