How fast can I overclock my AMD 1800+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannanCarlock

How fast can I overclock my AMD 1800+? Here are the specs from CPUID. Please help. Thanks. I have oc'd a computer waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day. It was a 300mhz that I oc'd to 450. Pretty substantial gain back in the day. :haha:

AMD Athlon XP Palomino XP 1800+

Clock Speed 1535.2 MHz
Clock multiplier x11.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 133.5 MHz
Memory 512 Mb PC2100 DDR-SDRAM
Motherboard: Shuttle Spacewalker AK31 v.3

To Shannancarlock, your post is tooooo long, we dont want your computer information unless we asked you. You want to oc'cing your AMD Athlon 1800+

Read THIS POST FIRST!

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=112522&posted=1#post112522

Then follow the procedure.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic9388.html

Thanks

255.255.255.0 :wave:

Depends largely on the stepping and core...determine your core (Palomino, T-bredA, T-bredB)
Note the Palomino core isn't going to have nearly the gas the T-bred core has... My little XP1700+ T-bred B, for example, can hit 2350mhz safely....while I had a Palomino XP1800 that wouldn't even reach 1800mhz...

Best overclocking advice I can give you is BEFORE your cpu purchase- take note what you are buying, not all chips that have the same moniker overcklock the same, not even close....

Here's a list of steppings, and how thay overclock from highest overclock to lowest...
XP1800+ Palomino core
AGOIA (10)
AROIA (9)
AGKGA (8)
AGOGA (7)
AKYGA (6)
AGLHA (5)
ARKGA (4)
AGNGA (3)

XP1800+ T-Bred A steppings, from highest to lowest:
AJUGA (10)
AIUGA (9)
RUIGA (8)
RIWGA (7)
RIRGA (6)
AIRGA (5)
AIRDA (4)
AIRCA (3)

XP1800+ T-bred B steppings, from highest o'clock to lowest
AIUHB (10)
AIXHB (9)
AIUGB (8)
JIUHB (7)
AIUCB (6)
JIUGB (5)
JIUCB (4)
AIUAB (3)
AIUMB (2)
KIXHB (1)

It depends on the processor you get. Luck of the draw and such. I got 1650 Mhz out of mine from 1533 stock. Not very impressive compared to what I got out of this Mobile Barton 2500+.

Thanks. I appreciate it.
How do you figure out which chip you have.

According to cpu-z I have:

Name AMD Athlon XP
Code name Palomino
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
Family/Model/Stepping 662
Extended Family/Model 7/6
Package Socket A
Core Stepping A5
Technology 0.18µ

How does this stack up? Do I have to alter this chip to oc it?

ShannanCarlock said:
Thanks. I appreciate it.
How do you figure out which chip you have.

According to cpu-z I have:

Name AMD Athlon XP
Code name Palomino
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
Family/Model/Stepping 662
Extended Family/Model 7/6
Package Socket A
Core Stepping A5
Technology 0.18µ

How does this stack up? Do I have to alter this chip to oc it?
Don't expect much, maybe a couple of hundred mhz, but nothing to write home about. Palomino core just doesn't have much headroom (.18 micron design)
You can find the stepping by reading the markings written on the cpu core. If you already have your fan on, you'd have to take it off to have a look. But since it's a Palomino, there really isn't much you can do, it's just not an overclocking beast like some of the T-bred cores....
No altering neccesary, should be unlocked. You can play around w/ multiplyers and FSB to find a stable overclock. Be wary of temps.
Good luck!

Palominos in general are multiplier locked, even on the latest nForce/KT boards.

Thanks. Thats what I was afraid of. I have a AK31 shuttle motherboard and it doesn't want to let me play with the fsb or multipliers at all.

:(

Well for anyone that might care I oc my 1800+ to a 1900+. I got it up from 1529 to 1598. :confused: That's all I could get with the AK31 shuttle motherboard, pc2100 memory, and 1800+ athlon palomino cpu. Kinda sucks. At least it is stable. I had it higher around 1610 but it crashed once in XP last night so I dropped it back down a little. I cannot change my multiplier past 11.5 unless the fsb is set up to 145mhz. Then I can't even get XP to load. I can set the multiplier to 11.5, 12, or 13 but when XP comes up and I run either cpuz or cpuid it shows that the multiplier has reset itself to 11.5
I can lower it though. I was hoping to try the "drop the fsb and raise the multiplier" approach also to see what I could get. But no luck.

Any suggestions?
:suspiciou

ShannanCarlock said:
Well for anyone that might care I oc my 1800+ to a 1900+. I got it up from 1529 to 1598. :confused: That's all I could get with the AK31 shuttle motherboard, pc2100 memory, and 1800+ athlon palomino cpu. Kinda sucks. At least it is stable. I had it higher around 1610 but it crashed once in XP last night so I dropped it back down a little. I cannot change my multiplier past 11.5 unless the fsb is set up to 145mhz. Then I can't even get XP to load. I can set the multiplier to 11.5, 12, or 13 but when XP comes up and I run either cpuz or cpuid it shows that the multiplier has reset itself to 11.5
I can lower it though. I was hoping to try the "drop the fsb and raise the multiplier" approach also to see what I could get. But no luck.

Any suggestions?
:suspiciou

it could be your PC2100 (it's only rated for 266mhz). When you raise you're FSB to 145, that RAM is running 290mhz. Try setting your RAM ratio a bit lower to find the stable limit of your CPU. Also, AMD's reportably will sqeeze more performance out of a lower multiplyer and higher FSB (when at the same mhz), so I'd go with the highest FSB you can safely reach, while still being an acceptable overclock.

Okeedoke. I think I'm at the limit right now. Its at 139mhz for the fsb. I got through a whole game of Dawn of War without a problem. I will probaby try 140 and see what happens. If I go any higher I can't make it through the benchmark for 3dmark 2000 w/o the thing crashing to desktop.

My bios will let me set the fsb to 166mhz. Am I right to believe that I could run pc2700 memory and clock the fsb at 166 with a smaller multiplier?

ShannanCarlock said:
Okeedoke. I think I'm at the limit right now. Its at 139mhz for the fsb. I got through a whole game of Dawn of War without a problem. I will probaby try 140 and see what happens. If I go any higher I can't make it through the benchmark for 3dmark 2000 w/o the thing crashing to desktop.

My bios will let me set the fsb to 166mhz. Am I right to believe that I could run pc2700 memory and clock the fsb at 166 with a smaller multiplier?
No. A smaller
RAM RATIO If you set your FSB to 166, regardless of you cpu multiplyer, you RAM will be running 333mhz. Look for a way (usually a ratio) of running your memory at a fraction of the FSB. Also, make sure you have the most advanced options clicked in your BIOS to allow you to control options in the smallest increments possible. Good luck...

Oh. Ok. Thanks. I will see what I can do. I have the cpu oc to 1598mhz right now and the geforce2 mx is oc'd to core: 210mhz / memory: 338 mhz. Eveything seems to be running faster with very few crashes. :D

overclock athlon 1800

hello
im very new to amd, ive always been an intel person
but i find the overclocking potential of amd facinating
i bort a base unit off ebay recently that was described as 'i know nothing about this pc, so sold as spares/repairs) i plugged it in to find it was an athlon 1800+ on a gigabyte GA-7VKML board, i was intrigued about this cos its the first amd base ive owed, i know virtually nothing about amd's and o/clocking but while looking around in bios i got a post screen of 2200+ and that proved to be stable during xp install, this was using a pc3200 512 stick.
ive now sold that base unit but im thinking of buying something decent in amd cpu's so any information or tips relating to amd cpu's and overclocking would be apprieciated

Currently I am running 2 AMDs: a 2400 Sempron and a 2400 Athlon. The Sempron is on a Nforce2 board and is running at 2004 mhz (10 x 200mhz) which posts as a 2800 with 1.5 gig of pc3200 (512 of Kingston and 1 gig of Rosewill) and the Athlon runs on a Asus mobo and clocks in at 2199 (16.5 x 133 mhz) which also posts as a 2800) and is running a gig of pc2700 memory (Rosewill). The Athlon chip is a Thoroughbred (as opposed to its cheaper cousin the Palomino) which adds a lot to the overclockability of the system. I have always been a fan of AMD as they cost less and perform better. If you set up the right mobo, cpu, and memory you can squeeze a lot out of an AMD system. There are quite a few people on this sight that can really let you know a thing or two about AMDs and what you can force one to do. :)

My 1800+ hidden potentials

In my 3rd rig I got my 1800+ tb but its pretty old now. I got it about 3 years ago. Sold it to one of my mates, and its been passed around abit for like £5 from person to person. Now I'm very glad that I actually got hold of it again.
I found new hidden ranges when I apply a little over 2.15vcore to it :)

My 1800+ 1.53 stock runs at 2.85 ghz (19x150)
I unlocked it by breaking some of the L5 bridges. And my Kt6V mobo can support upto 2.3 vcore.

Loading fail safe settings in bios, I can instantly boot at 1.9 ghz 'cos of the 19x multiplier, and lower 100fsb, at the default 1.6vcore. I guess I have a superchip :angel:

I originally could do 12x200 2.4 ghz which would have given me the best performance I think, but was more excited about having the higher clock speed with the unlocked multi, as I never used the pc anyay :haha:

Not sure what stepping it is, I'lll have a look the next time im tampering with it and post here.

Hope this port helps for people to be a bit more rageful on there chips and push them further :p

Oh btw- 1.85 vcore I could only do 1.66ghz(133x12.5) and 1.6ghz(200x8)
This goes to show that if you push the vcore a little further then you can have hidden potentials. I'm glad I found mine.

ha11

Pushing the vcore too high could also help you find the "frying point" of your CPU.

My T-Bred 1700+ runs as 2000+, not too much o/c, but with default voltage, and it doesn't go above 40 Celsius in full-load with 20Celsius ambient temperature.

What cooling are you using and what temps do your get with those huge vcore values?

Im using a standard 2600+ CPU heatsync, with the fins bend outwars so that I can fit an 80mm case fan ontop.

The cpu never really goes above 65-70c.
In AMD worlds thats fine but some people prefer them to be around 30 for some reason, and I cant understand why.

I have known few people that have run their chip's hot (50+) and have them suddenly fry or burn out. Only when they are above the recommanded limit for amd (85c) or they are more than 8 years old. But AMD1800+ wernt around 8 years ago and 8 years from now I pity someone still using an 1800+ unless they intent to play with it, or blow it up :haha:

When I 1st got the cpu, I put the sync on backwards, so it ran upto 120c and I was still able to play games fine. Didnt do the chip harm(I dont think) but has been going strong for past 3 years, and is still fine now.

I guess im just really lucky, My X800Pro @ xtpe fried the other day by separate power supply, smoke and IC chips crackling etc. Although the system booted to my suprise and ran games fine. Strange

i have a thoroughbred socket a (0.13micron) amd athlon xp 1800

i am currently running it at 1.68ghz and the temperature has settled at 45 degrees celcius running folding@home.

and the system temp is 23 degrees celcius.

how high should should it be able to overclock to?

mobo = epox ep-8khal
gfx = geforce 3 ti 200
memory: 512mb pc2100

timothyw9 said:
i have a thoroughbred socket a (0.13micron) amd athlon xp 1800

i am currently running it at 1.68ghz and the temperature has settled at 45 degrees celcius running folding@home.

and the system temp is 23 degrees celcius.

how high should should it be able to overclock to?

mobo = epox ep-8khal
gfx = geforce 3 ti 200
memory: 512mb pc2100

Depends what chip week etc - you cant tell purely from what designated specification the chip is e.g. 1800+, although you can run the chip up to a certain temperature and it be safe.

I had an 1800+ back in '03 running 19x147 multiplier unlocked, 2.1vcore with a standard 60MM heatsync on it, with the fins bent out and 80mm fan on top.

Hovered around 65 degs ish and was fine upto now (I have now upgraded and its still running fine)

I am comfortable running my chip that hot because I know it can withstand the heat, although some people may differ in how hot they are comfortable with.

Would you rather have your cpu run stock for 12 years fine, or have it last half its lifetime but have fun playing around with overclocking it :D

Who has an 1800+ for 4 or 5 years anyway?!

Microchips are not made of ice https://www.techspot.com/vb/images/icons/icon14.gif
Thumbs up

Keep me up to date anyway.

well it does crash when at 1.8ghz although i think this because of the fact that i may need to raise the voltage to the cpu and most likely the memory- due to the fact that i would have to have it running at 150mhz fsb (making it run at 300mhz - 44mhz more)

timothyw9 said:
well it does crash when at 1.8ghz although i think this because of the fact that i may need to raise the voltage to the cpu and most likely the memory- due to the fact that i would have to have it running at 150mhz fsb (making it run at 300mhz - 44mhz more)

You will have to raise the voltage of the cpu...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back