How hot is to hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiscountryboy

Hey guys i got a question, how hot is too hot for a case temp

right now i idle at 85 degrees F and i used to idle at 80degrees F and im going to upgrade to a 6600gt graphics card but i want to know will i need to beef up my cooling as well??

by the way my cpu temp idles at 113-115 degrees F

Well thats not that hot

wiscountryboy said:
by the way my cpu temp idles at 113-115 degrees F

113 degrees Fahrenheint (46C) is not really that hot. Check for dust and make sure that the heatsink is properly seated with Thermal Paste and or Pad. But that is not really that hot. When is hot to hot? When you start noticing lock ups and reboots. As far as upgrading cooling for the new Gfx card..maybe add a slot blower, or add in a fan. (if your case doesnt have any slots, its not that hard to add one.)

Sean

I'd say your case temps sound fine. Although if it starts getting over 110 I'd add another fan in there. try a fan on the side panel with a tunnel between the fan and the Heatsink of the CPU. A lot of new case's come with this and the tunnels are clear or clear colored as to not change the effect of LED fans. Look into some of the new Alien cases ect...

How is the setup of your case now?

Wiscountryboy, What is the layout of your current fans. Do you have any intakes? There are neumorus posts on techspot on that subject. A blower would help (if you have any vacant PCI slots) Good luck

Sean

BTW-as said in the previous post, a new case could be in order

i have a single 120mm intake fan in the front and i have a single 80mm exhaust fan in the back (thats all i can have) but i noticed the temp jump after i moved my hard drive from a 5.25inch slot (i had a tray cooler) to the 3.5inch slot (now the ide cable is blocking some of the air flow) and because im both cheap and a little parinoid about over heating ive taken off the front cover of my case (its just drives and the metal frame) so the fans can work at maxium efficency and the 5.25in drive bay covers are off, i dont have a side window on my case so i might just get a new case instead of buying a panel for it, any thoughts on what i should/could do with this would be great

and i do have an extra pci slot open, infact i have about 5 (i like all my things built in2 the motherboard except video

Well I just got a couple cases at the local CompUSA. They have some really great sales going on. I'm pretty sure the one that I got that I like as far as cooling was around $34. Has a side panel with a tunnel going to the side fan, a space for a fan on top, two spots in the back, and two up front. All but one are 80mm size. I know it sounds huge but really its only a midtower. 4 5.25 bays and 2 3.5 bays. There are some really great cases online even but you'll pay for shipping most likely. Check out www.pricewatch.com and go to the cases link. Can't hurt to drool. ;)

alright, ill look for a new case, but first ill try putting the hard drive back up in the 5.25in slot, that seemed to keep things a little cooler because the ide cable wasnt in the way

thanks guys :knock:

You could also look into some different IDE cables. There are round ones out now that allow the airflow to circulate better than the flat wide originals. I don't think they cost all that much either. That'll give you the availablity to leave your HD in the slot that its currently in.

cool=good

Wiscountry

On those open PCI slots, see if you can get a blower, that would help keep the Gfx card heat down. As far as the HDD, you can get a arrary of disk coolers that will help with that. As far as fan ports go, you could do it yourself (its really not that hard) or if that seems like to much work, the suggestion crs made and just ge a new case.

Sean

BTW-rounded IDE cables are always a possibleity as well, i mean it will help, but im not sure that they will make that much of a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back